Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Best adventure Sport 3 years running  (Read 4115 times)

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
Best adventure Sport 3 years running
« on: November 01, 2017, 09:19:48 PM »
Headline says it all.
As much as I like both the Multi and the KTM I can't bring myself to buy one with the associated issues.
My S1XR is over 36000 miles now and has been sensational and totally reliable, likewise Cotswold Mottorad probably the best dealer I've ever dealt with.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/first-rides-tests/2017/july/bmw-s1000xr/

Offline Harry H

• XR Member
  • Town: Sunny Surrey
Re: Best adventure Sport 3 years running
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 12:39:43 PM »
Good to have it confirmed but lets be honest it's not something we didn't already know.

For me it's not just the Best Adventure Sport it's the Best Bike full stop. There's nothing on the market I'd swap my XR for at the moment.

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 04:37:04 PM »
Same here keep looking but nothing gets close. Do fancy the KTM 1290 Adventure S,  I ride with a guy who has one and it's bloody good, trouble is the local dealer is diabolical. Off to Valencia again on mine next week for Motogp final.😊😊

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 05:51:57 PM »
I must admit, that if the price had been right - I would have been riding a KTM 1290GT right now......

That itch might need to be scratched some day, but I have to say that the XR isn't lacking anywhere - for what I am looking for!

But - as long as I keep the bike and me on the road....... It'll probably still be with me in 4+yrs time.   I'm not one for changing bikes every year or two - for the latest and greatest.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 06:36:41 PM »
Took me/us 18 months to come to a decision and i’ve Seen nothing to change my mind although a short stroke 1200 Tiger with a quick shifter and some new body work big tank and 17” wheels might make me think otherwise but when I purchased the X/R it was a great starting point to build what wanted I didn’t purchase an appliance which so many folks on here appeared to have done.

Re KTM dealers are you talking AMS Rory?

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 06:51:21 PM »
We're an amazing group of riders here... and we've got proof now.  :046:
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline Hobo

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Warwick
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 07:11:57 PM »
The XR gets my vote too - haven't found anything that works for me as well. I also considered the KTM 1290GT - in fact I had one on order from early January 2016 and when they told me in April that it was going to be June (earliest) before delivery I went out and bought the XR instead (prompted by an imminent trip to Spain). I have no regrets - I tried a friends GT and it was great but not worth the extra cost ... and I had acclimatised to no weight on the wrists at all!

20 years ago I read an MCN article about a Fireblade conversion to a sports tourer and kept the article for years as it seemed to be the best of all worlds. Since getting the XR, I have thrown the cutting away.

BTW my KTM order was with AMS and I felt they were doing their best against a poor KTM supply and returned my deposit without a quibble. I found them very good to deal with (even allowing for the fact they were in sales mode).

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 07:22:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Took me/us 18 months to come to a decision and i’ve Seen nothing to change my mind although a short stroke 1200 Tiger with a quick shifter and some new body work big tank and 17” wheels might make me think otherwise but when I purchased the X/R it was a great starting point to build what wanted I didn’t purchase an appliance which so many folks on here appeared to have done.

Re KTM dealers are you talking AMS Rory?
Yeah
To be fair its some years since I dealt with them but have to say the boss was horrendous and reneged on a deal I'd done on a new KTM with his salesman but waited until I turned up to collect the bike. When I refused to pay more than agreed he became very aggressive and obnoxious so obviously based on that experience I'm not a fan.
They are a substantially bigger company today so may well have become more professional but having met him again about 2 years ago somehow I doubt it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 07:30:07 PM by forestboy »

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 08:08:12 PM »
Hence why with the exception Vines(cuz their the best BM dealer in country they know more technically than anyone else for reasons that i’m Not going to post on the net) why I never get into good/bad /indifferent about dealers i’ve A mate in B’Ham who won’t deal with any other KTM dealership than AMS because they treat him that well.

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR whi
  • Town: NY Metro
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 03:11:24 AM »
I don't see how the DUke GT factors into this. To me it's the multi and the XR. The GT is more of a non-adv sport tourer with a little super moto in it design. Definitely not and ADV styled bike at all.

Not apples to apples inmo. That being said the GT was my first choice but the disgusting dealer network and all the issues the big bores have had scared me away. I love the bike though.