Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sena 30K?  (Read 2020 times)

Offline eljay998

• XR Member
  • From R to XR....
  • Bike: S1000XR sport SE
  • Town: hockley
Sena 30K?
« on: November 04, 2017, 10:04:03 AM »
Does anyone use the Sena 30k?
I'm thinking of getting a pair, so I can keep in contact with my wife, who also rides.

£499 is a lot of £££'s so wondered if anyone can share their experience and maybe give me the pros and cons?

Queue jokes on why would I want the wife nagging me while i'm out on the bike  :015: :038:

Cheers,

Lee.
S1000XR sport SE

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
Re: Sena 30K?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 11:56:12 AM »
I hate to tangent your post, but I recently picked up a cheap knock-off of a Sena from Amazon.

While it isn't nearly as well laid out, it allows me to converse with my Sena-using friends, and the thing works wonderfully.  It's just not intuitive to use.  For the rare occasions I need to talk to other riders, it works perfectly.  I wouldn't say I recommend it, though, if you plan on using it full time.  I get the impression that quality control is manic for these units.
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline bazzer

• XR Pro
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 07:08:28 AM »
Can't help with the 30K, but me and a mate have Sena 20S units and they are brilliant. 

We both tend to use them with Snugs moulded earphones rather than the built in speakers. The speakers are just not loud enough if I am wearing foam ear plugs.

They work great bike to bike and the noise cancellation is amazing. When I am on the phone people don't know I am on the bike.

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 12:38:15 PM »
Hi eljay998

I have a set of Sena Smh10r Low Profile which I have used for a couple of trips, it did take a bit of setting up with the BMW Satnav and IPhone but it works.

Most of the time it's just me and my partner on my bike but a couple of mates have the Sena sets as well, we did get them paired and with a bit of messing about it did work over the three bikes.  Bit odd when someone's satnav cuts you off mid flow but it does all work, it is funny chatting across three bikes.

I have now gone back to an AutoCom system as it has Bluetooth, I just get on better with the AutoCom.  I have my Sena Smh10r Low Profile kit just sat there if your interested let me know as it's going on Ebay end of the month just in time for Christmas. :008:

That Sena 30k looks the business, I guess the cost is similar to others with similar features.
After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

Offline eljay998

• XR Member
  • From R to XR....
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 05:49:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Low-Brau [+]
I hate to tangent your post, but I recently picked up a cheap knock-off of a Sena from Amazon.

While it isn't nearly as well laid out, it allows me to converse with my Sena-using friends, and the thing works wonderfully.  It's just not intuitive to use.  For the rare occasions I need to talk to other riders, it works perfectly.  I wouldn't say I recommend it, though, if you plan on using it full time.  I get the impression that quality control is manic for these units.

Thanks Eric, but I'll probably play safe and stick with Sean if I get them.
S1000XR sport SE

Offline eljay998

• XR Member
  • From R to XR....
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 05:51:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
Can't help with the 30K, but me and a mate have Sena 20S units and they are brilliant. 

We both tend to use them with Snugs moulded earphones rather than the built in speakers. The speakers are just not loud enough if I am wearing foam ear plugs.

They work great bike to bike and the noise cancellation is amazing. When I am on the phone people don't know I am on the bike.

Cheers Bazza, do the Suns totally replace the Sean ones and if so, how are the wired in?
S1000XR sport SE

Offline eljay998

• XR Member
  • From R to XR....
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 05:52:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gazk [+]
Hi eljay998

I have a set of Sena Smh10r Low Profile which I have used for a couple of trips, it did take a bit of setting up with the BMW Satnav and IPhone but it works.

Most of the time it's just me and my partner on my bike but a couple of mates have the Sena sets as well, we did get them paired and with a bit of messing about it did work over the three bikes.  Bit odd when someone's satnav cuts you off mid flow but it does all work, it is funny chatting across three bikes.

I have now gone back to an AutoCom system as it has Bluetooth, I just get on better with the AutoCom.  I have my Sena Smh10r Low Profile kit just sat there if your interested let me know as it's going on Ebay end of the month just in time for Christmas. :008:

That Sena 30k looks the business, I guess the cost is similar to others with similar features.

Cheers Gaz, I'll bear that in mind, though I've kinda got my heart set on the 30k  :038:
S1000XR sport SE

Offline MelbXR

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 08:27:38 AM »
I've got one, it's great.

Not a huge improvement over the 20S though.

In theory mesh is useful, in reality.....

The sound is much the same (the mount and speakers appear to be the same).

Fast charging will come in handy.

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '18 S1000XR
  • Town: SoCal
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 02:02:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by MelbXR [+]
I've got one, it's great.

Not a huge improvement over the 20S though.

In theory mesh is useful, in reality.....

The sound is much the same (the mount and speakers appear to be the same).

Fast charging will come in handy.
Can you please elaborate on the "in reality....." comment. I'm getting three sets for myself and my riding buddies upgrading from 20S. If its a waste please let me know the details.

Marc
'18 S1000XR Premium
'15 BMW R1200GS Low

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 02:58:36 PM »
My understanding is that the Sena Mesh system was for large groups, which seems a bit of an overkill for just you and the missus.  If there is just two of you there are cheaper bluetooth intercoms, not just Sena.

(A couple of years ago 5 of us tried using a bluetooth system - it had a reasonable range, the only snag was when riding you had to stay in the right order otherwise the bluetooth chain would get broken.  Also if one person was missing the remaining ones had to be re-paired.  The Sena Mesh sounds quite good, but its' too expensive at the moment)