Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Looking to transform the bike into more of a sports tourer.  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR whi
  • Town: NY Metro
Looking to transform the bike into more of a sports tourer.
« on: November 05, 2017, 03:41:16 PM »
There's a discussion on the other board regarding modifying the suspension and geometry of the bike so I figured I'd post something here as well to see if the broader community has performed some of these mods.

In short, I want to sport bike out the bike a bit. Love the legroom but can't stand the bolt upright perch and high wide bars. It's especially tough when it's very windy as these types of bikes are very sensitive to bar inputs and such. I'm looking to do the follwing:

drop the bars and have them more forward;
perhaps have a seat that tilts in at an angle, towards the bars;
rear-set the pegs;
and lower the suspension a bit. Not like the full lowered version but just a bit.

On top of this I would like a better suspension that works with the ESA but it was mentioned on the other boards that this can be a few grand. That's just a bit much.

Has anyone done any of this? I've heard the R1200R bars fit perfectly and do not effect the lock to lock due to be more forward, and I have seen some peg kits, so at minimum I think I"m going to do this. I do want to tweak the suspension at least somewhat but I know there are some difficulties with the ESA.

I'm not looking to turn this bike into something it's not, but I do need considerable less of this dirt bike style riding position. I would trade it in on a Duke GT as I think that bike's pretty close to perfect ergonomically, but I'd rather not loose out on a trade, and I truly don't trust this horrid KTM dealer network nor KTM themselves in terms of reliability.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
Re: Looking to transform the bike into more of a sports tourer.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 09:10:07 PM »
If you haven't already, have a look at the Motorcycle Ergonomics Simulator
http://cycle-ergo.com/

Put in your dimensions and customize away - see how much adjustment is required to get the position you prefer. If there is a specific bike that has the ergos you prefer, note the lean, knee and hip angles then try to match it on the XR.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 09:11:40 PM by Patrick Bateman »
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 10:32:47 PM »
Thanks Patrick. I've done so already. I'm obsessed with that site  :002:
The following gets me a 15 degree forward lean and 80" of kneed room:
drop bars 1.75",
Move bars forward 3.5"
raise the seat .5"
rear-set the pegs 2"
and drop the pegs a half inch.

Not sure if the R1200R bars would do this but I think I could get close.
There is room to set the pegs back and drop them. My foot would almost be touching the can but would be doable. Getting a half inch on the seat should be not tough. If I did all that to the bike it would be perfect for me. Not entirely sure it's possible though, but I think I could come close.

Dropping the bike a bit might be more of a problem. If I"m raising the seat height I'd want to drop the travel by at least an equal amount. I don't want to raise the cog of the bike any.

Attached is how the bike would look for my size.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 10:41:05 PM by Snatch »

Offline BrianS

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: N Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 01:50:48 PM »
Just wondering why you purchased the bike if it does not meet your requirements

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 10:05:08 PM »
Buy an S1000R....

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 01:10:55 AM »
I was waiting for the wise ass comments.  I had an S1000R and it does not tour. I bought this bike knowing it was not exactly a perfect match, and was geared towards old men,  but as I wrote there's only one other bike that fits.

just an fyi modding a bike to suit your particular needs is not blasphemy. You will not anger the motorcycle gods.

Thanks for the awesome input.

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 07:59:31 AM »
What do you want, sympathy?

Of course the R can tour.  I toured on mine.  It sounds a lot closer to your needs than the XR...

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 10:26:26 AM »
Nah I don't think he's looking for sympathy Troppo, just some constructive advice.
If aftermarket companies sell modified pegs, bars and seats then its a fair question to see if anyone else here has tried them.

Sure a postie bike can tour as well - yes you can tour on the R but, compared to the XR, it has no wind protection, less space and options for luggage, smaller fuel tank blah, blah & blah. Its his bike, he can do what he wants with it.

Nobody hassled you when you painted your wheels pink... or did they?
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline Karlb

• XR Pro
  • My Life is a Blur
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Crockett, TX
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 11:52:56 AM »
I get modding a bike and hey do what trips your trigger, but making the bars less wide and high will most likely slow turn in (those high wide bars give great leverage for flicking her back and forth), and the upright seating is not only more comfortable (to me) but also lets you see better so you are not sight distance limited as long, having had a 2010 RR and the XR, in the tight stuff I am faster on the XR. So to my mind those mods actually make the bike less sporty. JMHO
2016 Red Sled

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 12:49:53 PM »
I believe the HP pegs will offer a decent range of adjustment... for roughly the cost of a new motorcycle.  :021:

Which means there has to be someone out there making roughly the same product for half the cost?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 12:55:20 PM by Low-Brau »
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

dysfunctional