Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Great bike for touring  (Read 5344 times)

Offline Shado

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW R Nine T
  • Town: Jersey CI
Great bike for touring
« on: July 21, 2015, 11:38:08 AM »
Just come back from my hols down to the Pyrenees, 1280 miles later I have to say its a great bike apart from the things we all know about I.E Vibes, Side stand length and for me the foot pegs need to be lower.

Anyway good to be back  :305:
In Life there is no reverse, ride it like you stole it!

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
Re: Great bike for touring
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 05:26:12 PM »
That's good to know. I was meant to go away on mine this weekend, but with no luggage rack, it'd be impossible for me to swing a leg over the seat with a 30 litre bag on, with my bad back!

What's the issue with the side stand?

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 09:25:49 PM »
You lucky dog!!  The Pyrenees!  What a great opportunity on the new bike. Glad to hear all went well.  Weather looked great.   :002:
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline Shado

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW R Nine T
  • Town: Jersey CI
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 09:41:42 PM »
Thank you I felt lucky GRN, the issue with the side stand Rich is I feel it could be 10mm longer, by that I mean with my partner riding pillion and the fact she couldn't get here leg over the seat and got on using the pegs then slid back, for me to get on afterwards I have to do the equivalent of the goosestep to get my leg over, ehem, funny to watch I'm sure lol, but if the camber of the road was wrong the front wheel starts to lift, never had that with any other bike, could just be me of course  :112:
In Life there is no reverse, ride it like you stole it!

Offline fasttrak

• XR Pro
  • Chasing sunsets at 90 MPH.
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Morgan Hill
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 12:56:13 AM »
Nicely done, Shado, definitely the kind of countryside I love riding through, a bit like our Sierra Mt range in the foothills. It is crazy how that wide angle lens makes it appear that the road is so damn narrow the approaching vehicles seem to almost be in your lane, a bit disconcerting. I would love to hear how your hands managed that many miles with out going to sleep or dying completely and falling off your wrist?

How does the significant other like riding pillion on the XR?

What was the song and band for that title track playing through the video? Guitarist sounds familiar but can't place it.

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 08:54:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by Shado [+]
Thank you I felt lucky GRN, the issue with the side stand Rich is I feel it could be 10mm longer, by that I mean with my partner riding pillion and the fact she couldn't get here leg over the seat and got on using the pegs then slid back, for me to get on afterwards I have to do the equivalent of the goosestep to get my leg over, ehem, funny to watch I'm sure lol, but if the camber of the road was wrong the front wheel starts to lift, never had that with any other bike, could just be me of course  :112:

It won't be long before Wunderlich or Touratech do a foot for the sidestand. On my GSA, the stand is too long! Sometimes when I go to put the stand down, the bike is virtually upright, so I have to ride around to find somewhere more suitable to park! It keeps my mates entertained though! :001:

Offline Blast54

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR,K12GT
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 08:11:41 PM »
I just added the BMW hard bags and took off to the Rocky Mnts in Colorado ( USA ) 5300 miles in eight days. 3000 was mostly high speed slab through Iowa and Nebraska. The rest was two lane. No complaints except for sidestand. New bags are great...they added a shelf in the bottom which aides in loading and nothing gets jammed into the sealing area.

Riding and fixing BMW's since 1970

Offline fasttrak

• XR Pro
  • Chasing sunsets at 90 MPH.
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Morgan Hill
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 08:16:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Blast54 [+]
I just added the BMW hard bags and took off to the Rocky Mnts in Colorado ( USA ) 5300 miles in eight days. 3000 was mostly high speed slab through Iowa and Nebraska. The rest was two lane. No complaints except for sidestand. New bags are great...they added a shelf in the bottom which aides in loading and nothing gets jammed into the sealing area.

Nice!!

Never fails, work prior to buying the XR was fairly relaxed, buy the bike and all hell breaks loose and not as much time to ride. Getting to do 5,300 miles on that new bike is pretty damned cool. Toss up a mini ride report with some supporting pictures, would love to see how the trip went for you.

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 03:19:05 PM »
Were you still running it in .
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline Blast54

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR,K12GT
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 08:15:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Redrick [+]
Were you still running it in .

No, I had put on 600 or so miles before trip, changed oil,filter and had local dealer bump  up the rev limiter to where it belongs.
Riding and fixing BMW's since 1970