Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain Guard Removal  (Read 1089 times)

Offline jskene

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Baltimore, MD
Chain Guard Removal
« on: November 09, 2017, 07:23:34 PM »
A friend just picked up a used XR and discovered it had no chain guard. I'm not sure why someone would remove this unless it broke.

I tried to remove mine to lend it to him for his ride home, thinking it would be a 2 minute task with only 2 screws. I found it very difficult to get off as I couldn't pull it out from any angle. Is there some trick to this? I don't want to force it, as it looks very fragile.

I searched the service DVD but found no reference to it and can find no information online.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Chain Guard Removal
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 07:41:39 PM »
Oh there’s a trick all right  :002: and if you right handed even worse the bolts are behind the chain so you end up lifting the chain up with you right and unscrewing the bolts with you left.

When they are out lift it up a little and pull the guard backwards a little then pull it out from the other end end through the swing arm.

The fun is putting it back on because the heads of the bolts are quite shallow balancing them on the end of the driver while holding the chain up with you other hand is great fun  :230: :001:

And theirs 3 bolts the one on the outside at the end and the two behind the chain.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 07:45:09 PM by Winger »

Offline jskene

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Baltimore, MD
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 08:26:32 PM »
Many thanks, Winger. I'll give this a try.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 09:35:15 PM »
The X/R your friend has bought almost certainly had an Ilmberger hugger fitted and who ever fitted it hadn’t worked how it works and probably cut the original in half.