Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Seat report  (Read 2243 times)

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
Seat report
« on: November 14, 2017, 08:07:18 PM »
I had a "memory foam seat insert" put in my seat by Elite Comfort Seats back in September and after 3,000 miles I can report that it has made it much more comfortable.  About an 1" of memory foam has been added and the original cover put back on - I can go about 3 hours in the saddle before the dreaded bum ache starts, on the standard seat it was about 45 mins.

I decided I'd go down to Elite and get them to do it "while-you-wait".  If you are of a nervous disposition this is not to be recommended, post it to them!  A good job in the end though.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Seat report
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:29:26 PM »
That reminds me Touratech have at long last produced a seat for the X/R only taken 3 years!! Although no doubt made by Kahedo with the usually salty price although I do have such on my K and they are good.

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 11:14:14 AM »
I guess it is a very personal thing (like screen height etc) - but I find the BMW low seat to be all-day comfortable.   200miles between stops and a 500mile day with no discomfort.

It must be just the right shape for me. :015:

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Dana Point, CA.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 12:18:22 AM »
JTL - Glad to hear that the "memory foam seat insert" did the trick for you. I had to redo a few seats in my time to make them work.

However, I'm in the "MERENG1" camp and find that my stock/ original S1000XR doesn't need a thing, works perfect/ comfortable for all day rides. The only area that could be improved for me, would maybe be a MRA windscreen, however, the stock one does its job, also helps keeps me below 100 MPH when traveling on the freeways in CA., which is a good thing.
mike k

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 08:32:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
I guess it is a very personal thing (like screen height etc) - but I find the BMW low seat to be all-day comfortable.   200miles between stops and a 500mile day with no discomfort.

It must be just the right shape for me. :015:

Who sawed your legs off  :002:

My story of buying my XR was complicated!! And it was funny phoning my mate up and saying ‘Tell e’m the seat is too low they can keep it and you want the high HP seat’ god knows what they thought,as someone who is picky about such think I have in the loft currently 5 stock seats and 2 others off my other bikes but the high HP isn’t bad maybe not the final end game but good enough for now.

I keep my bikes years and their is already a steady flow of secondhand bits at the right money i’ll wait for a Touratech at £250 😀

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 12:46:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Who sawed your legs off  :002:

Not sure I would have paid RRP for a low seat, but at the price - it was worth it.    The problem I have with the standard seat, is that it seems to 'kick your hips out' which makes it 'balls of your feet' on the ground.  The low seat is almost as high, but doesn't kick my hips out.

:305: :001:

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by mike k [+]
JTL - Glad to hear that the "memory foam seat insert" did the trick for you. I had to redo a few seats in my time to make them work.

However, I'm in the "MERENG1" camp and find that my stock/ original S1000XR doesn't need a thing, works perfect/ comfortable for all day rides. The only area that could be improved for me, would maybe be a MRA windscreen, however, the stock one does its job, also helps keeps me below 100 MPH when traveling on the freeways in CA., which is a good thing.

I wish I was in that camp!  The amount of money I've spent on seats.........

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Dana Point, CA.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 05:55:23 AM »
JTL - Other than oil and radiator guards, and a front fender extender I'm lucky in not having to do anything else with the XR (this has only happened for me on a couple of motorcycles).

As for "seats", I've found that riding gear/ undergarments can make a big difference in seat comfort, such as using bicycle shorts, or undergarments which have no seams. Also, when I went from using all Leather riding gear (which typically looks great) to kind-of-funky looking/ BUT, "IMO"  THE MOST COMFORTABLE RIDING AROUND, called Motoport, improved my "overall" comfort by 50%+++++.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 05:58:18 AM by mike k »
mike k

Offline steveharleyuk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: gloucester
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 01:31:06 PM »
I find the HP seat to be all day comfortable

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE