Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Akrapovic headers or different end can????  (Read 3678 times)

Offline SurreyRider

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Maidenhead
Akrapovic headers or different end can????
« on: November 18, 2017, 10:38:39 AM »
Hi all,

I'm in a dilemma and maybe someone can offer some advice.

I would like the bike to sound a bit better than it does, I had an Akrapovic end can but it doesn't sound dissimilar to the stock one so I've sold it.

Now I'm really considering the Akrapovic headers with the stock exhaust, but the hassle of mapping the bike puts me off a little.

As an alternative I was considering the Austin racing stubby can, hoping that because it's small it will sound better but I fear the Cat removes all the sound regardless of the end can.
http://www.austinracing.com/home/136-bmw-s1000-xr-2015-2017-gp1-gp2-slip-on-exhaust-option.html

They are the same price so that isn't a factor. I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts on this. Cheers!

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Akrapovic headers or different end can????
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 11:13:47 AM »
mmmmm...........

That exhaust can will be loud, but I think you might find that the cat is the limiting factor?

Take your existing can off  - and give the bike a short run with no can.  That might not be far adrift from what that can sounds like (remove it out in the country and strap it to the pillion seat.)

Otherwise - see if you can get a S/H akra can (or new from BMW for circa £600) and invest in Akra headers and cat-replacement pipe/

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 05:46:29 PM »
The most important thing to consider is the fact that Akra issue a health warning with the headers you obviously know that by your comments SO!!! But I have to say having been around bikes for a life time and never come across such before I take that seriously

The next  problem is do you go piggyback with either a PC or Rapid bike or do you go with a direct map via the ECU,if you think it’s getting complicated it hasn’t started 😀 because the million dollar question to leave the 02/Lamba sensors in or take them out and fit blanking plugs or leave them in and disconnect inside the ECU I could go into the pros and cons of both but there’s plenty out there already.

The complication there is some absolute tosh posted on both this and the other channel put up by folks clearly haven’t a clue,do your home work and talk to a preferred tuner(their are plenty) of you choice be it by recommendation,or how close they are too you.

It’s not half as complicated as you think and homework costs you nothing,i’m Currently working on another bike so my X/R is under a dust sheet but my preference is Mark Brewin at BSD near Peteborough I still need to talk to him to resolve Lamba’s in or out and then i’’ll fit the headers that have been hanging on the garage wall for months  :001: oh and find the time to do it  :087: and take the bike over to him but their are plenty of others(tuners)just as good.

Offline bazzer

• XR Pro
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 08:09:04 AM »
I exchanged some emails with BSD when I first got the XR, there opinion was the bike works will with the standard exhaust and you won't see much from the full system.

So would be interested to hear how you get on Winger. That standard box underneath sure is ugly :-)

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 08:38:38 AM »
I did some work for MCN and the other Mags for 3 years so i’ve been there many a time delivering bikes,if you ever see a dyno run for MCN/Bike/Ride/Performance Bike his does them,like all tuners He likes to keep a few secrets to himself but he’s honest and pretty open about what he does.
If you look on the BSD website and go BMW he actually says in print what he told you and various other stuff.

i’ve Other bike things ‘To Do’ on my list before my X/R and I bought the headers secondhand so it’s hardly a big financial risk and if i’m Not happy will go back to stock,but I have to say the 4 other bikes I have on the go all have aftermarket fuelling and pipes to match and i’m Really happy with them.

As I said the man is honest lots of folk expect big HP etc with pipes and a map when in reality they just 6/7hp but a much nicer running motor free of the TUV restrictions.

Offline bazzer

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 08:49:22 AM »
He was really honest and could have said yeah fit the headers and come over and we will map it.

Will be interesting to see how you get on though as his experience was with an Arrow full system no a Akra one. 

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 09:33:36 AM »
An interesting website and operation - BSD

Offline Garbo

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1kxr
  • Town: Newcastle
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 07:30:23 AM »
I have recently fitted Akra headers with standard can and have found
1. Engine runs a lot cooler. Maybe 10c.
2. Quite a bit louder but I will live with that.
3. Popping is more pronounced
4. Seems to be better  throttle response but may be just wishful thinking?
5. Spoke to my tuner and he said ecu should compensate ok
I will do a Dyno run later after the 20k service when I save a bit more bread.
From what I understand, the Akra headers retain the lambda sensors where the arrow do not. That was my reason for Akra.
At the end, bike runs cooler and starts easier. Money well spent.  :007:

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 02:36:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Garbo [+]

5. Spoke to my tuner and he said ecu should compensate ok

In closed loop he’s probably right but if your riding at that pace it defeats the object of the excercise of buying an X/R,it sure as hell won’t in open loop hence the Akra health warning.

What forgot!! Didn’t realise that the Arrow headers didn’t have the lambda holes which brings us back to what I was saying about  ‘In or Out’
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 02:48:26 PM by Winger »

Offline bazzer

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 04:25:40 PM »
Do we know if the O2 sensors are widebands on the XR?