Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Main battery, alarm and other related questions  (Read 1636 times)

Offline marvelouis

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Poole
Main battery, alarm and other related questions
« on: November 18, 2017, 05:57:57 PM »
Hello.

At some point during the winter i will need to remove the main battery and charge it, as i don't have electricity in my garage. The bike may sit standing for a good few weeks and I've definitely no way of getting a supply to the garage.

I have a few questions that i can't seem to find the answers to:

How long will the battery last and assuming it's fully charged, without the bike being rode, before the battery needs to be charged, factory alarm fitted and nothing else connected?
Will the alarm activate at any point, when removing the main battery and when the main battery is not attached to the bike?
Does the alarm have a battery of it's own, where is it located, at which point does the alarm use its own battery and how long will it last if the main battery is unconnected?
When does the battery in the alarm need to be replaced?

Is there a throttle procedure on re-connection of the main battery or any other, "you must do this", things i need to know about?

Thanks

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Main battery, alarm and other related questions
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 10:17:46 AM »
I don’t know either and in your situation I’d run two batteries their more than cheap enough nowhere days and during the winter i’d change them over once a month.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 10:30:58 AM »
As above, with the additional:

Run a couple of tails from the battery cables so that you aren't slotting and reslotting the battery into the space and farking about with the short cables each time.

Stick the battery on the tail rack (or even in the top box) as it will help keep the battery above 0c.

Should make it easier to change out each month.

Offline marvelouis

• XR Junior
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 12:47:40 PM »
Thank you for your reply guys  :002:

Running two batteries certainly makes a lot more sense in my situation. Hopefully someone out there will be able to answer the other questions, BMW don't seem able to.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 01:01:02 PM »
Not familiar with BMW alarm, but there must be a maintenance setting?

If so - put it into maintenance setting and try disconnecting your bike battery. 

Change the main battery and re-arm your alarm.

The alarm will have it's own back-up battery, but it will be a small lithium one - inside the alarm unit.  Best not to let it flatten completely.

As an alternative to a second bike battery - get a big car battery and connect as I suggested, with tails.   Us it for a couple of months, and only connect up your charged bike battery, when you recharge the car one.  To make more use - get the same dimension battery (but the biggest capacity) that your biggest car uses.

I think it will be suck-it-and-see on the alarm consumption, but the newest ones will have a 'sleep mode' where they use less current than normal.  Sleep mode should be automatic after a day or so?

EDIT:  Found this online (GS, but should be same for XR). 
Supplementary Rider's Manual (BMW Antitheft Alarm System)
Page 3
Note: "In order to protect the motorcycle's battery and ensure that the engine can be started,the alarm system deactivates itself automatically a certain number of days after being activated,although it always remains active for at least 7 days."
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 01:08:14 PM by Mareng1 »

Offline marvelouis

• XR Junior
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 01:41:21 PM »
I'm going to adopt the two bike battery method, it's the best cost and hassle free option for me, so thanks for your input here.

Just to let everyone else know, i have been told by BMW, that you have to turn the ignition on and then fully open and close the throttle twice and then turn ignition off, after re-fitting the battery.

I guess this is a, "throttle position sensor", thing. Not in the riders manual (2017) anywhere that i can see  :021:

Can anyone suggest a good battery please. I know we have posts about batteries, but which battery is tried and tested.