Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery Charger  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
Battery Charger
« on: November 19, 2017, 03:26:15 PM »
As a new XR owner, I need a bit of information on using my optimate 4 trickle charger. I plugged the charger in using the correct plug ( The charger was set to CanBus use, it starts as normal but after a few hours of normal lights and charging The Red number 7 light comes on and remains on ?.
I then disconnected the Charger from the XR charging point and fitted the supplied leads direct to the Battery and have now been running it like that for the last 48 hours and it is charging correctly.
Would this cause any problems with the CanBus system, and can anybody answer why the Red number 7 light was showing.....
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Battery Charger
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 04:13:04 PM »
No idea about the No7 LED - have you googled the manual?

Having power take off/feed in tail is the best idea.   It's guaranteed to feed the battery, and causes no damage to the system.   The alternator charges at around 14.4v after all.

I fitted a charging tail even though I mostly use BMW's can bus charger (from previous bikes)

https://scootergrisen.dk/scooterhjemmeside/download/optimate4_lamper.pdf

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/TheShed/PDF/Optimate4DualProg.pdf
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 04:15:14 PM by Mareng1 »

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 07:42:18 PM »
Hi and many thanks for the answer. I was sure that it would be okay as I have used this option on all my other bikes. Again thanks for that it has put my mind at rest..... :152:

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 11:44:39 AM »
Looking to get myself a charger as reckon I will be using my bike a bit less than usual this winter. What charger do you folks recommend? Had a look at various Optimate chargers, and they all seem slightly different. Thanks.

Offline OldSteve

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000XR
  • Town: Pickering
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 11:52:53 AM »
It's odd, I have 2 Optimates, one for each of my 2 BMWs and one of them does as described and shows the red error light after a few hours of working normally and the other will run correctly indefinitely.  Both are plugged in via the canbus power socket on both bikes and behave the same whichever bike they are connected to so it seems to be an Optimate issue rather than a canbus one.

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 03:44:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by OldSteve [+]
It's odd, I have 2 Optimates, one for each of my 2 BMWs and one of them does as described and shows the red error light after a few hours of working normally and the other will run correctly indefinitely.  Both are plugged in via the canbus power socket on both bikes and behave the same whichever bike they are connected to so it seems to be an Optimate issue rather than a canbus one.

Funny than I have the same problem, I also have two identical Optimate Chargers only difference is on is connected to the Benelli and that just keeps on going as Normal. The other connected to the XR works as Normal for anything from a few days or a few hours before the Red / Yellow light comes on. I have swapped them about and the one Connected to the XR does the same, so I am of the opinion that it is the Bike and not the Charger. After downloading the operating data, I did come up with a clue it appears that if there is any voltage drop during the dormant stage of the charge cycle it triggers either the Red or Yellow , or both combined to come on. And looking closer at that, it only needs a very small drop to trigger this. I now just leave it in situ, as it does go out again during the charge cycle. Do you have an alarm fitted as I think that the slight drop in voltage could be the alarm drawing a very small amount during the dormant stage. I am certain that it cannot damage either the bike or charger......

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 08:36:59 AM »

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 10:03:30 AM »
From the days of when I had all our vehicles plugged in for the winter currently have 6 normal Optimates and a Lithium and a.n.other and it’s surprising how things have changed from the MK1 which had a different connector from all others they have made to the MK4 and beyond which will take even the biggest battery to a full charge(early versions would not)but i’ve Always gone direct never found going via a outside port 100% reliable.

I’ve stopped doing such no after a steep learning curve and now put them on charge every 5/6 weeks and see how long it takes for the two green lights gives me some idea what state the battery is in although with current prices i’m Now changing every 2 years or so Odyssey and lithium excluded.

Offline Sibbo46

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr Sport SE
  • Town: Dudley
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 10:31:16 AM »
I had loads of problems with previous optimates (early life failure) so now I have all 4 bikes on Ctek chargers with my XR connected direct to the battery with no issues

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 10:53:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sibbo46 [+]
I had loads of problems with previous optimates (early life failure) so now I have all 4 bikes on Ctek chargers with my XR connected direct to the battery with no issues

I must admit the Ctek is a premium charger. We use these on our Windfarm work boats and they have always been spot on and they remain connected 24/7 (Through the onboard Generators). Never thought to look at one of these for the Bikes. I also wire mine direct to the battery.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 10:55:20 AM by Bree »