Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rapid Bike "EVO" module.  (Read 3951 times)

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Rapid Bike "EVO" module.
« on: November 21, 2017, 10:26:46 PM »
Morning Chasps,
Since I'm in Sydney, Australia.....Rapid Bikes Australia P/L have now released the "EVO" module for the Euro-IV 2017> machines :028: It's still not listed on their website though :034: Although their US site has them for the '17 models...I expect they're all the same for all models but I suspect they needed to do some in-house testing to make sure they work ok on the Euro-IV jobbies... :027:

I put myself on an email list for them to alert me when they were available..... and they sent me an email a couple of days ago informing me they are indeed available for the later machines. Should have one by the end of the week...might fit it over the weekend if it turns up and I have time.....Not looking for outright power gains, just looking for better/smoother low/mid-range and rideability...if it comes with more top end...all the better, not that the XR needs it though :033:
The emissions laws these days tend to neuter the low/mid range of most bikes these days as manufacturers lean out the fuel map to do their best to comply with the emissions laws.
Mind you, my XR is pretty good fueling wise, it's actually quite good at small/steady throttle openings compared to other machines I've ridden over the past few years. I'll be getting a set of Arrow Headers in the not too distant future as well so we'll see how it all works out, will try the stock system first though.

I spoke to the Rapid-Bikes guy and he mentioned the stock system and end can is actually not too bad, it's pretty free flowing when the "butterfly valve" is open and most of the sound is removed by the cat.. he also said... "if you remove the end can, you can pretty much see straight through it", so it's nearly as good as an aftermarket end can...Not sure if I'll get something different yet though..??

I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get a chance and do my best to be unbiased with my review.

Cheers,
Smithy.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:30:58 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
Re: Rapid Bike "EVO" module.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 08:31:08 AM »
Keen to see your results mate - please get dyno runs before and after so the gains can be measured!
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Master
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 01:12:42 PM »
 :460:

Bookmarked for results.
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 06:51:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman [+]
Keen to see your results mate - please get dyno runs before and after so the gains can be measured!

Don't know whether doing dyno runs is practical for me, there isn't one close to where I am that I know of.. :003: And they're horrendously expensive to do. :034:

Smithy.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 07:03:18 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 07:29:58 PM »
Hi All,
I was at a loose end yesterday afternoon after work...couldn't help myself so I actually started fitting the Rapid Bikes EVO system to my XR, once all the tupperware has been removed (~3/4 hour or so), it takes ~40-45mins to fit the harness and route it correctly/nicely, cable ties are your friend :028:...I followed "Cuban Rider's" Youtube vid as a guide...It's surprisingly simple to do, a little fiddly here and there but nothing someone fairly competent with their hands couldn't do, all the harness sections are nicely/clearly labelled the connectors are top quality and fit the original BMW connectors perfectly.
I fitted the EVO module in where the tool kit lives, there's ample harness length so no problems there. I've made a nice holding fixture out of firm-ish foam to try and eliminate any vibration as best I can. The tool kit still fits in the same place.

I only had time to refit the fuel tank and give it a quick start to make sure all the wiring was fitted correctly and check for fault lights etc...It started straight away and I had no fault lights. I will try to finish fitting up all the tupperware this evening after work and hopefully give the map a quick check on the laptop to check all sensors and readings are working as they should....then over the weekend, (weather permitting), I'll try to give the bike a decent ride so the EVO module can do it's thing and learn the correction factors/parameters etc...

Cheers,
Smithy.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 07:34:57 PM by smithy »

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Master
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 12:41:15 PM »
Oooo!  I'm excited for the ride.  I partially expect a trail of flames in the tire tracks.
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 11:30:09 PM »
Hi Chasps,
Well, I've finished fitting the EVO module and replaced all the bikes tupperware etc on my XR, attached is a pic of the EVO module which now lives under the seat where the tool kit usually lives, also a pic of the software setup showing the map etc...

The software comes with maps for stock machines as well as a map for full Akro system, K&N filter etc, or you can make your own and upload it to the module. I found it a really easy modification to do. There's also a setting for "Adaptive mapping" which I believe is able to adapt itself to your riding style/requirements etc...it's a pretty powerful program by the looks of it. I've just loaded the RB map for stock exhaust systems to mine as I still run the stock exhaust.
I haven't had a chance to get out and ride the XR as yet  :003: The weather lately hasn't been too kind and looks like more of the same this coming week, also work keeps getting in the way :004:

On a side note, I'm expecting delivery of some nice German Ilmberger carbon parts for my XR in the next week or three, mainly the front guard, (which I've already received), front headlight fairings and rear tank guard...
Also seen in the first pic is the oil reservoir for my "home made" chain oiler system, I've got it running through a normally closed solenoid valve which is wired to an "ignition switched" wire in the main fused harness behind the tank, then it runs through a Festo adjustable flow regulator, the oil only flows when the ignition is on and obviously stops when it's off....it's very simple and works really well...much cheaper than an Scott-Oiler or similar system which essentially does the same thing, a nice easy & cheap worthwhile mod. Cost me less than 40 Aussie sheckles and ~an hour to set up. :028: I'm using 80W140 diff oil which is quite tacky and doesn't fling-off as much as engine oil....but I do get some fling-off if I have too much flow...I suspect the same will happen no matter what oil/fluid is used....too much of anything will fling off..! Took me 2 or 3 rides to get the right flow setting and it's been good since, chain is lubed but no fling-off...perfect.. :152:

Cheers,
Smithy.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 12:13:39 AM by smithy »

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 08:37:44 PM »
Hi All,
Had a chance to take my "Rapid Bike EVO" equipped XR for a short 20 minute spin yesterday afternoon....I had loaded the Rapid Bike supplied map for a "Stock Motorcycle" into my bike, easily done and only takes a couple of seconds to load.

Firstly, before I comment, my bike has always had what "I thought" was pretty good fueling at small throttle settings, it was never excessively jerky or twitchy but could be quite nervous at times..certainly better than some other machines I've ridden over the years.
The first thing I noticed during my ride in my local area was how very smooth the fueling was, it was if the throttle had some sort of "damper setting" applied, there was no twitchy or nervous throttle response, a pleasant surprise indeed. I was then able to open her up a bit to sample the "already good" mid-range...Faarrrrkkk....!!  :005: What a difference, it was so MUCH stronger and so MUCH smoother...the torque is much more pronounced and she pulls really well without stumbling from as little as 2000rpm...I haven't had a chance to sample the top end of the rpm range yet, ran out of time and the weather wasn't too cooperative.. :006: Will hopefully get a chance to do that in the not too distant future.
Time will tell as to whether the fuel economy is the same or better/worse...I suspect it may be worse since I'll be more tempted to use the throttle more.. :007:
Will be interesting to see what the "self adaptive" map results throw up and whether it makes any difference to the map already loaded...but as it stands the stock bike map as supplied by Rapid Bikes seems to work really well. Well chuffed. :028:

Cheers,
Smithy.

Offline OC Mike

• XR Member
  • 'Sons Of Arthritis' Ibuprofen Chapter
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Orange County
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 09:19:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Low-Brau [+]
:460:

Bookmarked for results.

Yes,  Ditto.... :152:
If you smile when the light goes on in the garage, you made the right choice.
The first motorcycle race happened right after the second one was made.

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 11:59:30 AM »
I'll be interested to hear what the dealer says when you have it serviced, assuming you take it to a dealer.