Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Has anyone got a sport? non esa?  (Read 3535 times)

Offline johnboy1984

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Belfast
Has anyone got a sport? non esa?
« on: July 22, 2015, 01:48:49 AM »
Hi, I have ordered a sport with sat nav prep which is due september. My conscience has been playing on me making sure ive definitely made the right choice.. I have to be honest I tried the different suspension setting on the demo model which was an s.e with the esa and I couldnt tell any difference. If i ever do any touring it will be minimal and I would imagine a top box and back pack would suffice, so no real need for pannier mounts etc...

Its basically just the suspension thats niggling me, is it a gimmic ? Id like to hear from any non esa owners as all the reviews etc seem to be esa equipped bikes... thanks in advance...
J.B

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
Re: Has anyone got a sport? non esa?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 08:46:29 AM »
I have it on mine, and it certainly isn't a gimmick!

Offline S1KXR-rider

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1KXR-Red!
  • Town: Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 11:43:40 AM »
The XR sport was the model I initially wanted but then my salesman said I'd have to wait until Sept sometime. In the next breath he said he had an XR Sport XE spare which I could have two days later so I caved in and bought that one instead !
I rode with my wife as pillion at the weekend, we did 140 miles and I had the suspension set at single rider with luggage and it was very comfortable but neither of us are what you could call fat. I normally ride the bike solo with single rider suspension set up, in dynamic mode with the ESA set to road. It is a little hard but I've always ran the suspension on all my bikes on the hard side. It is a nice feature to be able to set everything from the handlebar controls.

Offline johnboy1984

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 04:50:13 PM »
I may have to go up and ride it again.. I tried it on and off numerous times,  on different roads etc and there was no major noticeable difference... An additional 1100 quid for something Ill probably never used just doesn't make sense

Offline fasttrak

• XR Pro
  • Chasing sunsets at 90 MPH.
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Morgan Hill
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 08:07:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by johnboy1984 [+]
I may have to go up and ride it again.. I tried it on and off numerous times,  on different roads etc and there was no major noticeable difference... An additional 1100 quid for something Ill probably never used just doesn't make sense

There is either something wrong with the bike that had ESA if you could not tell the difference from a bike with out it. Using ESA in both Road and than in Dynamic Pro, night and day difference. One is soft and fairly relaxed, the other is taut and fairly firm, very noticeable.

Offline johnboy1984

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 08:47:28 PM »
The guy out in it before me said tye same thing... He couldn't really tell any difference... Time to revisit tye dealer I think

Offline Gunter50

• XR Member
  • Bike: Sport SE
  • Town: Bicester, Oxon
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 11:05:41 PM »
I have played about with all the settings on mine ( well..the buttons are there to be pressed!) and yes, its no gimmick! You can feel the difference in damping and so far very good for out brilliiant (!) British road surfaces.

Offline Bald Man

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Jaffray BC
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 12:17:46 AM »
I have only rode with no passenger, but can feel a big difference between the different riding modes. I choose the dynamic pro mode over the rest. I'll take the rougher ride in trade for the power any day!