Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Replacement Battery  (Read 4961 times)

Offline Morse

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Northampton
Replacement Battery
« on: November 25, 2017, 11:20:27 AM »
My battery just died, lasted under 2 1/2 years, and I'd prefer to replace it with a better quality one such as a Yuasa.

Can anybody tell me the correct Yuasa code - their website lists a YTZ10S which is much smaller than what's in the bike now. I'd be grateful for any other suggested brands too.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Replacement Battery
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 12:23:49 PM »
See most folk go for a YTX9BS but having quite a bit to do with motorcycle batteries theirs only one stand out and that’s a PC310 with a price to go with it there’s nothing between the rest apart from lithium,i’ve Had one on my Supermoto coming up 4 years this coming January but I don’t need it when it’s cold which appears to be the bugbear with such.

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Master
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 12:24:56 PM »
I'm stunned that the battery life was so brief.

Does the YTZ10S indicate that it comes with some sort of bracket or adapter to make it play nice with the XR mounting spot?

If so, you can not go wrong with Yuasa, and if it's smaller and lighter than stock, your performance just went up!  :046:
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline Morse

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 03:04:49 PM »
Great - thanks for the advice!

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 04:39:55 PM »
Sadly the days of Yuasa being better than the rest are long gone along with old style lead acid batteries.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 05:40:22 PM »
I've never been let down by Motobatt units on sports bikes, but would go for something like Odyssey for European jaunts where a dead battery - really pisses on your chips.

After a pal suffered a dead battery on his BMW GS en-route to south of France last year - In future, I'll be taking a couple of battery tails (about 1.5m long) so that worst-case scenario - a small car battery could be sourced easily, to keep you going.   As it was - his bike gave out on the Brussels ring-road, and the BMW dealership was open, and only 5 miles away.   
You can't mitigate every failure, but the ability to zip to the nearest car battery stockist does appeal.

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 08:57:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Morse [+]
My battery just died, lasted under 2 1/2 years, and I'd prefer to replace it with a better quality one such as a Yuasa.

Can anybody tell me the correct Yuasa code - their website lists a YTZ10S which is much smaller than what's in the bike now. I'd be grateful for any other suggested brands too.

Thanks in advance.
I have just replaced mine with the Yuasa YTZ12.S   Bigger power and fits perfectly.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Morse

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 11:13:19 AM »
Thanks for the advice, batteries don't last like they used to. The Yuasa one on my 5 year-old Ducati packed in a few months ago and the dealer told me I was lucky to get more than 2 years out of it.

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 11:24:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by Morse [+]
Thanks for the advice, batteries don't last like they used to. The Yuasa one on my 5 year-old Ducati packed in a few months ago and the dealer told me I was lucky to get more than 2 years out of it.
I would back that up, 2 to 3 years on a Modern bike with all of the electronics that they carry is about right. My Benelli TNT has absolutely no
extras in the way of electronics and its original Battery is still going strong.. 
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 12:23:50 PM »
Show me a good battery and i’ll Show you a dud it’s absolutley pot luck,the dealers advice over 2 years and your lucky is bang on with the exception of Odyssey but you are paying a premium and lithium is still the great unknown.

The lithium on my Supermoto is an experiment in close to 4 years it’s seen a lithium charger once as an experiment is it the norm? I’ve no idea but the one thing I am sure of they don’t like the cold and i’m Never more than a 100 miles from home.

I have a connection to a small motorcycle repair setup and we see a cross section of dud batteries Varta/Yuasa/MotoBat i’ve Seen batteries go belly up inside 18 months but on bikes I travel on a distance from home I change them after 2 years,this year I had a genuine Yuasa pack up on my 955 Tiger in well u dear 2 years.

I don’t keep them on an battery tender all the time because it tells you nothing,i’ve Done that jumped on a bike ridden 175 miles and it died a death on the spot,hence why at this time of year I put each bike on a tender when it had stood for 5/6 weeks and see how long it takes to come to a full charge.

Just as a heads up for any of you guys running other bikes in the UK and change to a non stock R/R and then decided to try a lithium read the small print a lot don’t like them another hard lesson I learned.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 12:28:16 PM by Winger »