Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What tyres cos bloody sick of Metzler Roadtec 01s  (Read 7671 times)

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
What tyres cos bloody sick of Metzler Roadtec 01s
« on: November 26, 2017, 05:44:13 PM »
Headline says it all I am sick to death of plugging and filling with sealant the Metzler Roadtec 01s. Got back from Spain a few days ago checked the bike over today yet another rear puncture that's the 2nd on this tyre which has been the norm since using them. Great tyre for grip in all weathers and I can just about get 5000/5500 from a rear of hardish riding which means I can do a 4000 mile European trip and not come home on bald tyres as I did on the original Bridgestones, 3500 absolute max. Every set of Metzlers so far has had at least one puncture in the rear and most have had two.
So what tyre are others using and what results are you getting, I would like to get 5000 ish from the rear if possible as I'm a high mileage user currently on 37000 miles  in just over 2 years.

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: What tyres cos bloody sick of Metzler Roadtec 01s
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 05:48:21 PM »
I’ve not read of any trend of punctures on the 01s, so maybe you are just unlucky or ride over dodgy surfaces?

I have 5,000m on my 01s with another 200-300 possible, and despite them feeling great and lasting the required miles - I have bought Roadsmart 3 for fitting in the spring.

Other option would be Pirelli Angel, which get good reviews, or Conti 3?

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 05:53:07 PM »
Yeah the reason I changed was because of the rave reviews and I've not heard of others having the same problem but can this many punctures really just be bad luck. Must be on my 4th or 5th rear and every one has been punctured I know the roads around here are awful but seems a bit extreme and half the punctures have been picked up abroad.

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 06:38:04 PM »
Any chance you could ride in front of me, all the time?       :001:

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 06:42:23 PM »
 :164: :164:

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 09:00:17 PM »
My preference on all my bikes is Dunlop’s if the ‘Turn in’ is slow i’m not  interested in how many miles they do so that counts Michelins(any) out for a start,normally I run Sports Smarts in the UK and put a Road Smart on the rear for travelling,although for some bizarre reason I have a matched pair of Road Smart 3’s on my 1100s which turn in very quickly but they are a very stiff tyre you ain’t going to get the same grip on a winters day that you’ll get out of much softer one or the punctures for that matter.

But I see the fashion darlings are all waiting for the Road 05 coming in January.

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 09:24:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
My preference on all my bikes is Dunlop’s if the ‘Turn in’ is slow i’m not  interested in how many miles they do so that counts Michelins(any) out for a start,normally I run Sports Smarts in the UK and put a Road Smart on the rear for travelling,although for some bizarre reason I have a matched pair of Road Smart 3’s on my 1100s which turn in very quickly but they are a very stiff tyre you ain’t going to get the same grip on a winters day that you’ll get out of much softer one or the punctures for that matter.

But I see the fashion darlings are all waiting for the Road 05 coming in January.

So what are you running on your XR ?

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 10:26:20 PM »
Sport Smarts same as in my K1200r and i’ll Be doing the same as I do with the K when we go a distance put a 190/55 Road Smart on the back i’ve used Both 1 and 2 versions already and have a 3 on the 1100 and they have always worked well considering we are always two up with gear.

Although I have to say we’ve been down as far as mid Spain on SportSmarts F/R in the past on other bikes and they have worn well.

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 10:30:28 PM »
Thanks I'll take a look  :028:

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 11:51:43 AM »
[expletive]  :003:

This is sad to hear.

I was fully planning on running the same Metzlers when I'm due for new skins.

Until now, I've always run Pilot Roads, but that was on a far heavier motorcycle (Pan European).  I do not get the impression they would be sound on the 'XR.
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

dysfunctional