Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Switch Cluster problems ??  (Read 1500 times)

Offline JayJay10117

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE
  • Town: Portstewart
Switch Cluster problems ??
« on: November 28, 2017, 06:17:33 PM »
Was just wondering if anyone on here has experienced any problems with either of the handlebar switch clusters.  The last time I was out, I noticed the Trip/Info switch tend to stick in one position or the other.  I experienced a switch cluster problem on a K1300GT a few years ago (indicators could be turned on but couldn't be cancelled) which turned out to be somewhat expensive (for a bit of plastic, some switches and a length of wire I thought)  and am curious to know if this is common.  I still have some warranty left and would try to get it sorted before it runs out.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
Re: Switch Cluster problems ??
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 06:47:38 PM »
Not heard of anyone else with this exact problem.....there have been a few where the whole left switch housing is a wee bit loose but that's a different issue.

If she's still under warranty I'd be getting it looked at pronto..

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Jasper

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ipswich
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 06:53:22 PM »
Yes I’ve had the same problem.
WD 40 seemed to cure it, for the present.

Offline JayJay10117

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 07:00:36 PM »
Yeah Jasper, that's what a mate suggested.  Is it long since you had to use the WD-40 and have you had any further issues.

Offline Jasper

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 07:21:51 PM »
Used it about 2 months ago, am running it all year ,weather permitting,
and is ok at present. It’s a 2016 bike and have had the bar cluster/grips tightened once.

Offline PL2112

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Canterbury
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 08:21:53 PM »
My left hand switch cluster was replaced under warranty at the 6000 mile service.  It had exactly the same problem  (the info button sticking in) so setting the clock etc was virtually impossible. WD40 only provided a temporary cure and it was replaced without quibble.  I had to pop back to the dealer once the replacement came in and it took literally 15 minutes to swap over.

Offline Jasper

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 08:33:59 AM »
Will need to keep an eye on this, warranty runs out early next year.
Thanks for update.

Offline JayJay10117

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 07:52:13 PM »
Spoke with my local dealer and a warranty replacement is not a problem.  It's due the pre end of warranty check in a couple of months so get it all done then.  There's something else which I wasn't aware of until very recently.  Apparently BMW will, under warranty, fit some sort of rubber bushings/pads/washers/or whatever to pre. 2017 models which apparently helps with the handlebar vibrations.  It's not a recall but was described as a sort of unofficial official job.  I mentioned it to my local dealer who said they knew nothing about it but I subsequently spoke to another who said no problem.  Apparently the parts required are very cheap so I assume it wouldn't be an expensive do even if you had to pay for it.  Just in case anyone out there is interested