Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ilmberger Carbon Parts.  (Read 1670 times)

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Ilmberger Carbon Parts.
« on: December 04, 2017, 07:13:45 AM »
Hi All,
I've had a small front end hit with my XR, I ran into the rear of a stopped tray top pick-up, I didn't even fall off...was only ~2mph hit and was totally my fault.. :012: Minor damage to the headlights and the plastic headlight mounts & surrounds etc...Damage was only minor but will be expensive to repair. Insurance would obviously cover it but then there's the loss of my no-claim bonus, a hit on my next premium and an excess of ~$600AUD. I did the math and it ends up a fair bit cheaper if I just buy the parts and fit them myself.
I've already bought the headlights as they need replacing anyway, they're both cracked... but rather than pay the ridiculous prices for genuine plastic BMW fairing parts to bring it back to new, I thought about spending a bit less on nice quality carbon parts.
Has anyone bought and/or fitted any Ilmberger carbon parts to their XR...I believe they're top quality items but I've not seen any in person. Was thinking of getting the complete front end like these parts:
http://www.ilmberger-carbon.de/web.aspx?PageID=29&WebPortalCmd=1191&WPParams=53BCD9AEB1DDD9E9C2D3B59EB787BDE5C6C9D7B3E3BBB89EA08095AB

I already have the Bestem carbon front guard:
http://www.bestemusa.com/BMW-S1000RR-2009-2015-S1000R-2014--2015-S1000XR-2015--2016-100-Carbon-Fiber-Front-Fender-Twill-Weave_p_149.html

Fit and finish is really nice on the Bestem carbon front guard.... but they don't do the complete front end like Ilmberger, only Ilmberger do the headlight surrounds that I can find.

Just after others thoughts..??

Smithy.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 07:31:37 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
  • Bike: HP Motorsport
  • Town: North Wales
Re: Ilmberger Carbon Parts.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 08:24:50 AM »
Hi Smithy

I have used Imberger carbon since 2005 on a K1200s, GSX-R 1000 and a fireblade

I have the front extended fender and the the rear hugger on at the moment

Always excellent quality, always fit first time

I know there a lot of carbon choices but I have been more than happy with their stuff so have stuck with them

Also, it looks beautiful

I will try to find the pics I put on here a while back

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
  • Bike: HP Motorsport
  • Town: North Wales

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 09:12:15 AM »
No I don’t have the front panels(yet) and like Grizzle i’ve Been buying Ilmberger stuff for years for various bikes all of which I still have including the X/R but I have to say theirs some cheap and cheerful options like a Power Bronze.

If you want a Bestem/Ilmberger comparison you’ll need an American!! Buying anything from the States is a nightmare because of the import duty it can be gotten around but you also need help from the seller I have managed to do it but it’s rare so Bestem is all but unheard of over here.

Obvious difference in photo’s is the weave.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 06:45:48 PM »
Thanks very much Chaps.....I'll take your advice and go for the Ilmberger items.

Below is a pic of the damage to my XR, as you can see, it's only a relatively minor hit but expensive to repair properly.

Cheers,
Smithy.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 06:47:52 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!