Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Keyless Fuel Cap  (Read 3345 times)

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '18 S1000XR
  • Town: SoCal
Keyless Fuel Cap
« on: December 05, 2017, 08:03:18 PM »
I found a nice keyless fuel cap that fits perfectly and eliminates having to fumble with the key while sitting at the pump. Here is a link https://www.slingshotracing.net/catalog/bmw-cnc-billet-aluminum-keyless-gas-cap-r1200gs-k1600gt-r1200rt-p-1252.html to it.

Marc
'18 S1000XR Premium
'15 BMW R1200GS Low

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Keyless Fuel Cap
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 08:43:59 PM »
I'd probably fumble and drop it in the ground...........  :430:

Offline OC Mike

• XR Member
  • 'Sons Of Arthritis' Ibuprofen Chapter
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Orange County
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 02:04:03 AM »
Looks nice,  is it in the locking position or does it rotate another 1/8 of a turn?

Mike..
If you smile when the light goes on in the garage, you made the right choice.
The first motorcycle race happened right after the second one was made.

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 03:00:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by OC Mike [+]
Looks nice,  is it in the locking position or does it rotate another 1/8 of a turn?

Mike..
Probably could turn it a bit more. There is an O ring around the base of the cap that's being compressed so the cap's position is variable.

Marc
'18 S1000XR Premium
'15 BMW R1200GS Low

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 05:48:12 PM »
I'd never thought to investigate such an option.  It has me wondering why most motorcycle caps tend to have locks installed in the first place.  Are motorcycles such common targets for gas siphoning?

-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 06:30:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by marcparnes [+]
Probably could turn it a bit more. There is an O ring around the base of the cap that's being compressed so the cap's position is variable.

Marc

I've no experience of those caps (are they known as "Monza" caps?), but would expect something a bit better than the same seal as is fitted to a thermos flask.

I would have expected a final position 'detent' on the cap, so that the o-ring was sealed and there hadn't been an excessive torque applied after that - to make it difficult to open, afterwards?

So - the closed position would always have the same circumferential orientation.

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 07:51:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
I've no experience of those caps (are they known as "Monza" caps?), but would expect something a bit better than the same seal as is fitted to a thermos flask.

I would have expected a final position 'detent' on the cap, so that the o-ring was sealed and there hadn't been an excessive torque applied after that - to make it difficult to open, afterwards?

So - the closed position would always have the same circumferential orientation.
I totally agree. My Mutistrada friend has a more expensive Italian one on his bike and it does have a detent as you suggest that leaves it in the same position each closing. This one is on the cheap side and hence a bit more basic in design. I tried it a couple of times yesterday and it really does make a fill-up quicker. The other issue we have over here are emission recovery nozzles which include a big collector over the end of the nozzle to catch fumes while filling. These barely fit with the stock BMW filler cap assembly which is a pain in the ass. Also, with the stock arrangement its quite a chore to get the tank completely filled unless you have a bunch of spare time and patience. With this assembly the access hole is huge so filling is a snap. Just for fun yesterday I ran the tank down till it had 1 mile left per the gauge and filled it with 5.27 gallons out of a specified 5.3 gallon capacity. With the stock setup I've never been able to get more than 4.7 gallons in. I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Marc
'18 S1000XR Premium
'15 BMW R1200GS Low

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 10:51:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by marcparnes [+]
I totally agree. My Mutistrada friend has a more expensive Italian one on his bike and it does have a detent as you suggest that leaves it in the same position each closing. This one is on the cheap side and hence a bit more basic in design. I tried it a couple of times yesterday and it really does make a fill-up quicker. The other issue we have over here are emission recovery nozzles which include a big collector over the end of the nozzle to catch fumes while filling. These barely fit with the stock BMW filler cap assembly which is a pain in the ass. Also, with the stock arrangement its quite a chore to get the tank completely filled unless you have a bunch of spare time and patience. With this assembly the access hole is huge so filling is a snap. Just for fun yesterday I ran the tank down till it had 1 mile left per the gauge and filled it with 5.27 gallons out of a specified 5.3 gallon capacity. With the stock setup I've never been able to get more than 4.7 gallons in. I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Marc

Waaaaait a minute: This device will rid me of the damned nozzle that extends down into the tank that makes it impossible to see how much gas is in the tank, yet which the owner's manual strictly warns the user not to bring the gas level above the bottom of, even though you can't peer into the darkness of the tube to ascertain the current level???

I want one now.
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 01:02:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by Low-Brau [+]
Waaaaait a minute: This device will rid me of the damned nozzle that extends down into the tank that makes it impossible to see how much gas is in the tank, yet which the owner's manual strictly warns the user not to bring the gas level above the bottom of, even though you can't peer into the darkness of the tube to ascertain the current level???

I want one now.
Yup  :001: :001:
'18 S1000XR Premium
'15 BMW R1200GS Low

Offline OW31

• XR Member
  • Town: Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 09:21:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by Low-Brau [+]

I want one now.
Take the cap off and remove the tube.......