Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Start up Rattle  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
Start up Rattle
« on: December 06, 2017, 06:03:16 PM »
I have just Noticed on start up, I am getting a loud Rattle sort of noise. It appears to be coming from the Exhaust box but cannot be sure as it only lasts a few seconds. If I then stop the engine and restart, it is not there.
Perhaps the noise is coming from the engine end but I really cannot tell. There is nothing loose around the exhaust so I am mystified. Anybody any thoughts.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Start up Rattle
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 06:26:20 PM »
Camchain tensioner.

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 07:58:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Camchain tensioner.

Was not sure it was that, as there are some posts on here about camchain tensioner. Is this a need to do now job or at next service ?

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 01:22:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
Was not sure it was that, as there are some posts on here about camchain tensioner. Is this a need to do now job or at next service ?

I've got a separate thread on my issue here:

https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,1534.0.html

Fairly common among some S1000 engines, R's, RR's & XR's. There's a Service Bulletin "PUMA MEASURE 54380454" which explains it. Essentially there's two cam chain tensioner plugs, one Black for bikes up to 15,000km and a Silver/Grey coloured one for bikes over 15,000km.

My bike was doing the "cam chain rattle" thing pretty much from new so, I first noticed it ~1 week after I bought it....after leaving the bike sitting for a few days, I mentioned it to my BMW dealer service guys during my first service ~1000km....they just said..." Oh they all do that".....What a load of Bollocks :013: So....I sent a little nasty-gram to BMW Australia and the dealer rang me the following week and organized to replace it for me...I never did get it fitted, I just fitted a manual tensioner and haven't had a peep out of it since..!

Some bikes only do it from dead cold or after sitting for a few days. Mine was fine after the first start of the day and any subsequent starts during the day. :027:

Smithy.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:24:27 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 07:59:26 AM »
As I am out of warranty, is it a job I can do in the workshop or is there some sort of set up that has to be done at the dealership. I am thinking that if it is possible to fit a manual adjuster, then it should be just as easy to fit an original ?   Any thoughts anybody....

Offline Garbo

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1kxr
  • Town: Newcastle
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 09:05:11 AM »
Just booked mine in for 20k service and spoke to service manager re rattle only on cold startup. He said is recommendeded replaced at 30k with stronger tensioner and he seems to think there is a third type available now. Doesn’t worry me much at this stage as is ok after a few seconds once oil pressure is up.
Just my 2c worth

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 01:07:38 PM »
Well I've bit the bullet and ordered the parts. And yes there are two parts one for under 15,000km (black) and one for over 15,000km
(Silver ) but that is only the Cap the plunger is exactly the same. Best part is the parts department did not know that two different types existed ? Gulp...  Any how its £103.92  and that includes Cap, Plunger, New Seals.. Prior to ordering the parts I spoke to the workshop,there take on it is if the noise goes after a couple of seconds, then there is no need to worry until your next service.
But it is such an easy job to do that I am changing them anyway...  I will let you know how it goes.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:09:34 PM by Bree »

Offline Dicey

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Mintlaw
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 02:54:53 PM »
Hello Bree, be good to hear how you get on with the installation, my s1000r  got rattle at cold start up with about 9k on it but was still under warranty so fixed free of charge, bmw said tensioner slowly leaks looses pressure hence rattle after sitting a few days without being started, so definitely would be fitting new seals, xr now doing the same after not being started for a few days,I was going to phone dealers and see if bmw would fix it although it's out of warranty, but not the end of the world if they don't, not to expensive to fix especially if you can do it yourself.

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 03:58:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dicey [+]
Hello Bree, be good to hear how you get on with the installation, my s1000r  got rattle at cold start up with about 9k on it but was still under warranty so fixed free of charge, bmw said tensioner slowly leaks looses pressure hence rattle after sitting a few days without being started, so definitely would be fitting new seals, xr now doing the same after not being started for a few days,I was going to phone dealers and see if bmw would fix it although it's out of warranty, but not the end of the world if they don't, not to expensive to fix especially if you can do it yourself.

Hi Mate,  Parts should be here Tuesday so I will do the change asap, I will let you know how it goes but it looks a really easy fix....

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 02:10:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]

Hi Mate,  Parts should be here Tuesday so I will do the change asap, I will let you know how it goes but it looks a really easy fix....

Yep, it's fairly easy to do, the right side radiator outer plastics are in the way so you'll need to remove some tupperware to get at it, the coolant bottle will need lifting out of the way too, a couple of screws hold it in place, just hang it to one side. The hex on the old tensioner is 24mm IIRC, a 15/16" wrench should see you sorted, just remember to pick out the second "O" ring if it doesn't come out with the old unit. Put a shop rag under the opening before you start, a small amount of oil will dribble out...it's only a few ounces but makes a mess nonetheless..! Lube up the new "O"rings, refit and torque it up...refit your tupperware, job done....it "may" rattle a little the first time you start as it won't have had any oil through it so don't worry too much if it does..!  :028:

I used the same procedure to fit my manual unit...not difficult at all....I now have a small, "angled" hole in the right side plastic to allow me to inset an Allen key for manual adjustment...TBH, I've only had to adjust it once....when I fitted it..and it hasn't rattled since..! :046:

Cheers,
Smithy.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:15:44 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

dysfunctional