Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pestering warning light.  (Read 4714 times)

Offline dkaplun

• XR Member
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR
  • Town: Philadelphia
Pestering warning light.
« on: December 20, 2017, 06:50:17 AM »
I just purchased a new to me 2016 S100XR with about 5400 miles.  So far I put about 50 miles on the bike but noticed my check engine warning light ia on.  Here is the weird issue--the light disappears when I open the menu and begin switching between road and dynamic suspensions, or when I play with weight as as preload.  The moment the screen disappears, the light reappears.  Anyone ever had a similar issue? If so, what was the issue and how was it fixed?  Or do I need a dealer eval? I had the bike inspected last week with no issue but perhaps dealer did not run it through the diagnostics.  Please help.

Offline barnsyuk

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: South Coast
Re: Pestering warning light.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 09:41:40 AM »
Is the check engine light on with the engine running and bike moving? or just on when stationary?

Offline dkaplun

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 02:58:47 PM »
When bike is moving the light remains.

Online philbuck

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 03:51:35 PM »
Is it the pre-service warning light? When you switch the ignition on, does it also tell you about an imminent service, due at 6k miles, then disappears!

Offline dkaplun

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 04:08:30 PM »
I thought so at first but it does not appear to be a 6k service light.  And the light does not disappear once the bike moves.  The light only temporarily disappears when I start fiddling with the suspension and then reappears once the main screen defaults to showing mileage.

Offline OldSteve

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000XR
  • Town: Pickering
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 04:30:01 PM »
Are you sure it is the engine warning light and not the general warning light which comes with a text message in the info display area pointing to the problem?  I had a similar fault indicated as D-ESA fault and that came and went when I tried adjusting the suspension settings but always came back.  It was the ride height link just behind the engine that had become detached - easily spotted when you know what to look for and just a press fit back on (once the engine/exhaust have cooled down!!!) and apparently a not-uncommon fault.

Offline dkaplun

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 04:54:00 PM »
I do not know.  I did install the navigator VI which also reported the problem as a general warning and not an upcoming service warning light.  You mentioned a commonly known issue--where is that wire?

Offline OldSteve

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000XR
  • Town: Pickering
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 05:13:06 PM »
Hi - it is not a wire but a metal rod a few inches long linking the swing arm and the back of the engine I think.  It is on the left side of the bike towards the front of the swing arm.  Mine had come off at the top (engine) link and was hanging down alongside the swing arm. I assume it attached to a sensor that detects the movement in the rear suspension that generates an error if does not detect any.  The general warning light is at the top of the instrument panel and should give a short text message in the main display telling you what it thinks the fault is.  The engine warning light is to the lower far left of the instruments - at least on a UK bike.  Good luck anyway.

Offline dkaplun

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 05:15:09 PM »
Thanks!  I will give it a shot.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 07:05:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by dkaplun [+]
Thanks!  I will give it a shot.

Can you take a pic of the light for us please?? Have you had it plugged in to see what the fault is??

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!