Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: whirring noise  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
whirring noise
« on: December 20, 2017, 12:38:35 PM »
Like my other bikes, when turning on the ignition on the XR you get a few clicking and whirring noises. Now these all stop after a few seconds on the other bikes. But I have just noticed that on the XR I get a whirring noise from what appears to be from under the tank. Now I am assuming that this is the fuel pump. But unlike my other bikes it does not stop as long as the ignition is on it continues whirring away.  I would assume  that once the fuel is up to pressure the pump will stop as it does on the other bikes. Question I have. Is this normal on the XR. Or could the noise be something else.

Many Thanks     
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline JohnnyBeGood

• XR Member
Re: whirring noise
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 02:33:47 PM »
Might be ESA?

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 07:12:10 PM »
It's normal, I believe the fuel pump runs continuously whilst the ignition is on, once the fuel pressure comes up to normal, (this should happen nearly instantly), the pump runs a by-pass pressure regulator system back to tank or the inlet side of the pump rather than stop/start all the time, this keeps the fuel pressure constant.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 07:47:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
It's normal, I believe the fuel pump runs continuously whilst the ignition is on, once the fuel pressure comes up to normal, (this should happen nearly instantly), the pump runs a by-pass pressure regulator system back to tank or the inlet side of the pump rather than stop/start all the time, this keeps the fuel pressure constant.

Smithy.

Brilliant and many thanks for that, I was hoping that would be the Answer......  :158:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline CobraKai

• XR Member
  • Town: CA
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 10:42:55 PM »
Yea it's the fuel pump. I noticed this and its was very loud but quieted down over time.

Offline orbits

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 07:15:04 PM »
I know it's an old topic, but it just helped me out...

Tinkering with the bike, I had cause to have the ignition ON but with the engine OFF, and was getting concerned after a few mins that this buzzing noise just continued unabated throughout. On previous bikes all noises have generally stopped after ~10sec, but it seems on the XR that something - presumably fuel pump, or some sort of electronics fan - continues running all the time.

This video (not my bike) illustrates it for anyone else concerned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H05lU0_66iU

Unless anyone shouts to the contrary, this would appear to be normal.