Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Riding gear  (Read 3955 times)

Offline Racman62

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr & ZZR 14
  • Town: Lausanne
Riding gear
« on: December 21, 2017, 07:15:22 PM »
Hi everyone,
After a big off a few months ago and trashing all my gear and bike I have now been paid out by my insurance. My new bike is at the dealers just waiting for me to pick it up but i cant decide on what gear to buy.
My old gear was Rukka that performed really well but I was wondering if there's any new suppliers of this type of clothing that anyone could recommend.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Riding gear
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 07:26:06 PM »
Have a look at “Dane” clothing.

They have the same style as a lot of the Rukka gear, but a bit cheaper.

If you are concerned with the quality - they use genuine Goretex and Armacor.   I doubt if any maker produces crap around those two names.

They have a few suits that are more Sporty than Toury too.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 07:45:36 PM »
My other half is Rukka I’m Klim Badlands but only jackets both of us prefer leather trousers.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 11:25:14 AM »
I am Klim Badlands trousers and Klim Apex jacket (prefer the sportier fit) Not fallen off in it but from the point of view of keeping my dry and comfortable I am really happy with it.

In fact I am considering a Klim Induction mesh jacket for summer touring next year.

Offline OldSteve

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000XR
  • Town: Pickering
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 11:46:56 AM »
BMW Streetguard - not quite as heavy duty as Rukka (I have both) but totally waterproof, more comfortable (for me anyway) and better ventilated for the summer.  Also MUCH cheaper.

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 12:13:58 PM »
Rukka Nivala jacket & trousers for me. Well made and comfortable although expensive. Only 1 issue - you cant take a pee without lowering the trousers !! Serious design error in my view.
PSH

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 12:22:13 PM »
A few years ago, went down to the South of France with a couple of mates, and we had on-bike comms.

One pal had a leather touring suit (HG Tricky?), while we wore Heine Gericke XCR textiles (Reputed to be more abrasion-resistant than leather).

One particularly-hot day, I called him and asked:

“Are you warm enough in those leathers?”

“My ‘nads are swimming in sweat!”

“Oh! – I was thinking about switching my heated grips…… off!”

“Ba5tards!”

:745:

Offline teutonic

• XR Junior
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Rossendale
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 04:24:56 PM »
I go between a Dainese M4  two piece leather suit and a Triumph Navigator textile suit. I use merino base layer under both suits (Aldi & Lidl do some reasonable stuff in their cycling and Ski promotions). The Dianese works well with loads of stretch panels but as Mareng1 related can be a bit of an oven due to lack of ventilation. As an Ex Triumph pilot the Navigator suit is a left over from those days, it ticks most boxes, is as warm and waterproof as any i have owned in its price range and was picked up in the bargain bin as they were end of line stock due to Triumph changing the colour.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 05:09:07 PM »
I’ll be interested to see what my other half does when she needs to replace her Rukka because all the latest stuff has elasticated cuffs in the sleeves which might be great on January day in the UK but certainly not for warmer climes which her current one is pretty good at.

The Badlands for me was all about ventilation it’s incredible and it’s the only jacket I have come across where pockets are on the outside of the jacket so when i’m filling them with god knows what the pockets go out and not in,only hassle is the sizing because they come from the US shall we be a little PC  :002: and say their a touch on the large size can’t remember ever buying a medium jacket ever  :001:

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 05:45:33 PM »
What type of riding gear. How long is a piece of string. In the past I would always look at the name first then the style then comfort and basically pay the price.. Not always getting the best result or value for money.
Then at the end of last year MCN did some tests on various sets of textile clothing, one of these was the Oxford Montreal Jacket. Now if you follow the mantra that it has to cost over £250 to be any good then its not for you. But for me it has been great it is fully waterproof and has lots of ventilation, and it worked a treat in 35 deg heat in Spain this year. As for trousers I am in the Denim school I use the Resurgence jeans with Pekeve not cheap ( around £230 mark ) but very comfortable on and off the bike, and I do not get a sweaty crutch. Only downside with the Jeans is I have to carry waterproofs for them.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.