Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: I Really Loath Winter  (Read 11860 times)

Offline otrp

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
I Really Loath Winter
« on: December 21, 2017, 09:50:50 PM »
Well, today marks two weeks since I rode the XR. Prior to that, I haven't gone more than three or four days without riding since I purchased it.  I am having XR withdraw. I usually ride all year round. Cold doesn't bother me. It's all in the riding gear.  I prefer cold days to hot and humid.

I really loath winter because of road salt. We had a quick cold blast about two weeks ago and got about three separate snow showers over several days. Each one totaled about an inch.  As usual, the rode crews cannot wait to put down brine and other salty materials on the streets, even if only a coating of snow or the threat of minor snow is in the forecast.

This last week it has gotten warm again. This week, we have had temps in the upper 40's and 50's Fahrenheit. Yesterday it hit 60. This coming Saturday they are saying mid 60's.  Problem is, I will not ride with all the salt on the roads.  The roads are actually white with salt. Cold does not bother me, salt does.

I usually ride all year round, but the last three or four years now, they are going salt crazy, with just the slightest chance of snow showers. They never used to salt like this.  It all started only a few years ago.  They never salted like this unless there was going to be a major snow storm.  All this salt is keeping me from using my winter gear.

I purchased a pair of BMW winter Pro gloves a few months back, at a really good price. I finally got to wear them two weeks ago, the day they decided to brine the roads. If anyone is interested, I feel they are very cumbersome. It was hard to get them on the clutch lever with the guards in the way.  They are very warm though.  They are so insulated, I could barely feel my heated grips, even on the high setting.

It is going to rain this Sunday into Monday and wash away all the salt, but there is a chance of a wintery mix at the end of the rain. I'm sure the road crews will make sure they have plenty of new salt laid down for the Holiday. So much for getting some riding in next week.

End of rant.
Merry/Happy Christmas everyone and a blessed New Year.   :821:

Offline ampj8

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
Re: I Really Loath Winter
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 10:54:54 PM »
Similar with me. Lots of snowing then had many end-of-the-year events where at the end you drink and won't be able to ride anyway, so haven't been able to ride it for 4 weeks. my other bike 2 weeks...

Sad

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 10:56:56 PM »
Come to Australia mate :028:....we get to ride all year round, no silly salt, no snow and not too cold in the middle of winter....We do however, get well roasted sometimes in the summer...but it doesn't stop us from riding....just this week on Wednesday it was well over 40C here in Sydney...this is where a nice air-conditioned car comes in handy..!  :152:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR whi
  • Town: NY Metro
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 12:54:19 AM »
ball sack! We had a few nice days between the frigid temps and snow, and this saturday's supposed to be warm  but my bike's been in the shop 3 weeks and likely will be there another waiting for parts!! Arghhh   by the time I get it back those rideable days will be gone!
I'm pissed I started this work now. I should have waited.

oddly enough they didn't salt the poop out of our roads so far OT.   

Offline otrp

• XR Master
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 01:05:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Come to Australia mate :028:....we get to ride all year round, no silly salt, no snow and not too cold in the middle of winter....We do however, get well roasted sometimes in the summer...but it doesn't stop us from riding....just this week on Wednesday it was well over 40C here in Sydney...this is where a nice air-conditioned car comes in handy..!  :152:

Smithy.

I would love some of that right now.  :002:

Offline otrp

• XR Master
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 01:08:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by Snatch [+]
ball sack! We had a few nice days between the frigid temps and snow, and this saturday's supposed to be warm  but my bike's been in the shop 3 weeks and likely will be there another waiting for parts!! Arghhh   by the time I get it back those rideable days will be gone!
I'm pissed I started this work now. I should have waited.

oddly enough they didn't salt the poop out of our roads so far OT.   

Hey Snatch, what are you having done to the bike?

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 02:41:45 AM »
Swapped the bars and pegs but what's taking time is having the shock sent to the west coast for some rework.

Offline otrp

• XR Master
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 02:49:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by Snatch [+]
Swapped the bars and pegs but what's taking time is having the shock sent to the west coast for some rework.

Interesting. Let's see some pics and let us know how it all turns out.

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 02:58:07 AM »
Yeah will do. Hopefully they'll get it back before it needs to be winterized and stored.

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 03:11:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]

Smithy.

Hi Mate, Yes I am jealous having lived over the other side in Perth For 4 Years, Winter never getting below the mid 50s great biking weather (yes it does get hot but a quick dip in the briny cures that ). Anyway Have a great Christmas and new year and have a cold tinny for me....  :190: :190: :190: :190: :190:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.