Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 6 day tour to Scotland  (Read 6191 times)

Offline Gaz3014

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Northants
6 day tour to Scotland
« on: December 31, 2017, 04:44:02 PM »
Evening all

So, I’m planning a 6 day tour of Scotland with my wife and as I’ve never done anything like this before, I’m hoping for some advice.

My schedule is initially looking like this:

1.  Northants to Carlisle; 244 miles so thought might be good point to stop for night.
2.  Carlisle to Glencoe; 184 miles ish.
3.  Glencoe to Portree (Skye). Tour island.
4.  Portree to Carnoustie 228 miles ish
5.  Carnoustie to Keswick 212 miles but scenic route
6.  Keswick to Northants 242 miles

I want to get as much non- motorway scenic routes as possible once over the boarder and also on way back/ Northumberland area.
I guess I’m wondering is the mileage each day ok, or too much?
Would it be worth spending more than 1 day in one place and get different riding routes with scenery in?

Oh, and it will be early April so expecting some crap weather lol.

Any pointers welcome folks.......TIA.  :440:
CARPE DIEM

Offline LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Berkshire UK
Re: 6 day tour to Scotland
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 05:03:05 PM »
Sounds big miles for twisty roads, how is the Mrs on the bike? Lots of pit stops for pics etc so will be long days I imagine, will be a good tour, personally I’d smash out the motorway to get north to the good stuff so longer to play

Online philbuck

• XR Pro
  • Town: Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 05:37:22 PM »
After having done Scotland a few times, if you are intending to use any ferries up there, I would suggest maybe researching them first. The smaller ferries, which you can just rock up to the waiting areas are usually ok, but the larger ones to Mull and Skye (for instance), may not let you on without waiting for a ferry to arrive with space on, (yes, even a bike!!). We tried booking the ferries this year, but they couldn't do it, so we had to re-route to alternative ferries, quieter ones.
All I'm saying is, you may be unlucky getting on one of the larger ones without a wait, unless it's booked.
HTH

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 05:48:05 PM »
Will give this a coat of looking at later, when I have time - but, if you are taking decent roads all the way up, then your first day’s stop looks about right.

But - for a few miles more - I would recommend the Buccleuch Arms Hotel in Moffat in the Borders.  Great atmosphere and food - and secure bike parking in back.

https://www.buccleucharmshotel.com

Offline Gaz3014

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 06:20:57 PM »
Thanks guys.....good advice so far.
CARPE DIEM

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 06:25:46 PM »
When you say never done anything like this before,is that Scotland,6 days on the road or travelling with your other half?

Offline Gaz3014

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 06:40:51 PM »
Touring on a bike.....had sports bikes until ordering my new S1000XR.
My missus isn’t new to pillion riding. But new bike is so much comfier to ride.
I’ve done that kind if mileage in a day out for blast, but never back to back whilst touring.
CARPE DIEM

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 07:41:13 PM »
Blimey we are coming from opposite ends apart from skiing hols and the odd fly drive to a Moto GP travelling Europe by bike is all we have done for 40 years.

Sounds perverse but you should do what you planned you’ll learn loads,as my old dad used to say hard way is always best you never forget.

We’ve learned the hard way hence why the golden rule is’Always go South’ 3/4 days of crap weather is always a downer which is what you’ll be risking never mind 6 days on the road all the makings of a divorce  :002:

3 days on the road 4 at a push then find somewhere to hold up for a couple days and that’s assuming the weather is good.

It’s already been said bollock up there and find a base Carlisle is no more than a mornings ride from where you live get up there and then cut your cloth according to weather.

While your freezing your buns off we’ll be at Le-Mans for the 24hour going via Bordeaux after visiting friends even the rain is warmer in April  :001:,then to NI in May for the NW200 and the weather can be so bad being hold up in a B+B is a ball ache so we now rent a house which may be an idea for you two in Jockland.

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 10:58:50 AM »
The weather could also be beautiful. We did Scotland including the NC500 last April and the weather was fantastic. You might want to reduce the miles slightly especially with a pillion as the roads are narrow and windy and there's a Wow moment around every other bend. Blast up the motorway and give yourself an extra day would be my advice.
Enjoy it's beautiful.👍👍

Online philbuck

• XR Pro
  • Town: Cheshire
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 02:57:03 PM »
I would agree with another comment made by someone about maybe reducing the miles a bit, for the daily runs. Just taking for instance day 3, Glencoe to Portree  gets a bit tedious around Fort William, and not much progress can be made if you hit bad traffic. Also when on Skye, anything north of Portree on the east and north coast, (basically until you get to Uig), is going to be slow going on single track roads. Get stuck behind a logging HGV, etc, and you're behind it for miles. It all depends on what you want to do at the end of 230 miles hard riding really.

dysfunctional