Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: OEM Luggage rack with aftermarket panniers?  (Read 1318 times)

Offline wildspeedy

• XR Member
  • Bike: xr 1000 2017
  • Town: Montreal
OEM Luggage rack with aftermarket panniers?
« on: January 07, 2018, 08:43:47 PM »
Hi guys,

So i'm looking for some panniers that would fit the OEM luggage racks i got with my bike.Since i spent money to buy the touring pack on the xr i don't want to re-buy some racks again. I checked at bmw and the OEM panniers are pretty steep in price ( 1200$ canadian ) , so was wondering if i could cut down the price by going aftermarket for the panniers but find ones that fit the original racks. You guys know of any?

Second question....

I often take my little girls for a ride on the back they are 8 and 11 years old they used to have a motorcycle harness on them attached to me but now they are starting to get to big for the harness. For safety mesures i was thinking of either putting a top case with pad  for passengers OR getting a backrest so during accelerations they wont tip backwards or if they get tired. Any suggestions?

thanks

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: OEM Luggage rack with aftermarket panniers?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 06:14:47 AM »
Not sure there are any other panniers which fit the standard racks, to be honest, and if you went for removable Givi rack and panniers - you would end up with similar cost, I think.

Shad (who make the BMW ones) have a fairly unintrusive mount system and dont cost the earth for the complete ensemble.  There are a couple of threads on this forum on what people have tried.  Also - if you trawl through the photo database here - you will get some ideas.

For your pillions - topbox will help, and also “love handles” ( or similar)

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
Re: OEM Luggage rack with aftermarket panniers?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 12:46:22 PM »
Check out Motostorm website I got Givi quick release racks and a pair of Kappa panniers delivered for just over £400.including inner bags. That's less than BMW wanted for 1 pannier.
Several guys in the USA put me on to them as they had used them many times.