Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Top box, is it just me ?  (Read 2201 times)

Offline steveharleyuk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: gloucester
Top box, is it just me ?
« on: January 08, 2018, 11:18:40 AM »
I have the OEM top box and find it bloody difficult to open. In their wisdom and in an effort to keep it streamlined and beautiful, in addition to it being too small, BMW have made it flush, so that you have to get your fingertips under the flush lip to open it. Difficult even without gloves on. I'm finding it so frustrating that despite it looking good and matching my panniers, I'm thinking of getting an aftermarket, larger one that's easier to open. Anyone else have this issue ? I've tried lubricating the seal etc. but it's still a real pain. If they'd made it pop up slightly as others do, problem solved.

Offline Karlb

• XR Pro
  • My Life is a Blur
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Crockett, TX
Re: Top box, is it just me ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 11:46:27 AM »
no problem opening mine :027:
2016 Red Sled

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 12:41:04 PM »
Buy a Givi  or Kappa and have done with it Steve BMW can't design panniers. Got Givi quick release racks and Kappa panniers for mine as I thought the BMW rack n panniers were horrendous and way overpriced.
Also have an old Givi (large) Kappa (small) topboxes that are at least 18 years old been on at least a dozen bikes and still do the job they were designed for.
 :028:

Offline steveharleyuk

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 01:09:06 PM »
Thing is, as you know, mine came with the matching panniers, top box and all inner bags, which work well for me on most fronts. I can live with the size of the top box but this opening thing is bugging me. I’m going to BMW on Wednesday probably, to get the clutch fixed so I’m going to see if other top boxes there have the same issue. Not much point me shelling out loadsamoney on new boxes when I have a matching set so we’ll see...

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 05:53:59 PM »
Don't think I would waste my money on a new top box. It would be really easy to fit some type of lifting tag on the lid, perhaps a tab fitted inside that hangs out of the lid and use this to lift the lid..to open. Unless of course you have money to burn..... :084:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline eljay998

• XR Member
  • From R to XR....
  • Bike: S1000XR sport SE
  • Town: hockley
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 12:02:32 PM »
I've noticed mine is becoming a bit of a pain too.
S1000XR sport SE

Online smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 07:54:48 PM »
Mine is a bit difficult if I don't pull the red handle out far enough...otherwise it's fine.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline steveharleyuk

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 11:20:05 AM »
I've always received outstanding customer service from Cotswold BMW and today was no exception. They checked out the top box and are replacing it with a brand new one under warranty. No quibbles. Superb team.

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 12:46:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by steveharleyuk [+]
I've always received outstanding customer service from Cotswold BMW and today was no exception. They checked out the top box and are replacing it with a brand new one under warranty. No quibbles. Superb team.

Great news, and excellent service. :082:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 12:51:31 PM »
Cotswold are probably the best dealers in the country, certainly the best I've dealt with in over 40 years on bikes.

dysfunctional