Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Seat height  (Read 2949 times)

Offline wealdy

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000r
  • Town: camelford
Seat height
« on: January 10, 2018, 07:16:06 PM »
Hi folks I am trying to decide if the standard bike with a lower seat will be ok . I have inside leg around 30/31. Anyone got one and have similiar stats!!!

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Seat height
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 07:24:23 PM »
I have standard bike with low BMW seat, and 30" inside leg.

That combination for me - allows flat feet on tarmac at standstill.

The standard seat hasn't much 'meat' in it, but the lowered one seems to kick your hips out less, which is the biggest problem with the standard seat. 

I don't find the seat any less comfortable than standard (on the move) and still can do a 500m day in comfort.

Online LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Town: Berkshire UK
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 07:45:49 PM »
I have a lower seat and had the suspension lowered by cymarc bike parts in scunny, one of first things I did, I’m around 30” in, and makes a massive difference! No panic now at a stand still.
Plus actually makes the bike handle better I think.  :305:

Offline billywizzz

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: dorset
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 02:14:29 PM »
if you need a lower seat i have one for sale.
i have a lower suspension bike but use a standard seat, 30/31 inside leg both feet are flat on the ground i feel much safer especially when pillion is getting on and off

Offline mcog1

• XR Junior
  • Ive got a black one !
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 05:11:55 PM »
when I tested the bike, it had standard seat size,  it was kind of ok, but I didn't like to be so tiptoe with the wide bars, the balance was just odd, so I went for the lower kit when I bought it, its not a lot difference but just enough.  I'm glad I went with it, I was 32 inside last time I checked.

Offline millview

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 06:12:44 PM »
I have the lowered suspension with the standard seat - inside leg 31 - my feet are not quite flat on the ground, but works well.  I thought the lowered seat was too meagre. Incidentally, my dealer simply swapped the seats.
S1000XR Sport SE

Offline feeb

• XR Member
  • Town: Leslie, Fife
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 07:45:34 AM »
Lowered suspension model with standard seat.
Inside leg 30"
Both feet flat on ground which gives me more confidence when pillion is getting on and off.

Offline wealdy

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000r
  • Town: camelford
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 08:27:48 AM »
Many thanks for all the replies. It looks as though there is a little difference between standard bike with lower seat and lowered suspension with standard seat ( around 10 MM ??) . Will see what comes up first and give it a try.
Cheers everyone

Offline Hobo

• XR Member
  • Bike: KTM 1290GT
  • Town: Warwick
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 10:21:14 PM »
For what it's worth, I have a 30" inside leg too and found the lowered seat (on a standard bike) left me a bit too stretched to feel comfortable in all circumstances (such as stopping on uneven ground). I used Soupys lowering kit to take the bike down about 25mm and now use the standard seat.

I have done 7000 miles since changing and am very happy with the set up. As always, it is a personal thing ...

Offline BrianS

• XR Member
  • Town: N Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 09:19:45 AM »
30" inside leg
Standard bike lowered 1" with a soupys kit and standard HP seat can get both balls of feet down.
Also think the bike looks better lowered a bit.