Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: S 1000XR Rear view mirrors -Stock vs Aftermarket options  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Vengeance

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: BARNET
S 1000XR Rear view mirrors -Stock vs Aftermarket options
« on: January 17, 2018, 03:30:28 PM »
Hi guys & gals

I am not sure if this topic has been kicked about before ,,,, ,, but I am curious to know how other XR owners are getting on with the "stock" rear view mirrors on a day to day basis when out & about riding about through town, A roads ,Motorways, highways etc ...................................

I am finding my field of view is abit more limited than i would ideally like & defo have some blind spots when glancing quickly at traffic/cars behind me.

Currently looking at all aftermarket options currently available for the S1000XR but would be really interested to know anyone who has replaced the stock mirrors with an alternative option that is working well for them & found an noticeable improvement when riding day to day.

Here are some links to what i have been looking at. apologies in advance if this is an boring topic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :192:

http://www.motea.com/en/BMW/S_1000_XR/2017/12208/rear-view-mirrors-4019.htm

https://www.kiwavmotors.com/en/parts/controls/mirrors/for-bmw/motorcycle-mirrors-viper-ii-black-for-harley-and-metric-10mm-bikes-magazi-1493-detail

:084:

Online LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Town: Berkshire UK
Re: S 1000XR Rear view mirrors -Stock vs Aftermarket options
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 03:37:48 PM »
Hi mate, i actually received the KiWAV mirrors viper2 ones in red the other day. Well packaged, little thank you note etc and the mirrors look and feel solid and well made! I did ask if they could do black on the silver bit and red but they don’t, do just got the red ones. Will fit them next few days and post pictures with a mirror glass comparison.

May spray the silver bits Matt black as I think will look better
 :305:

Offline Vengeance

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 04:03:45 PM »
Hi

Yeah was wondering how you got on with your new KiWAV viper2 as the blurb says they have "Wider vision with convex lens "

I would defo be interested in your opinion once you have had a chance to use them out on the open road ...............looking forward to seeing what they look like................................... Also did you buy them direct from KiWAV?

Online LAMBO281

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 04:05:57 PM »
Yes direct from KiWAV, mirror glass does look wider, next few days I hopefully find out!

You think spray can the silver aluminium bits? Would that work? Any ideas?

Offline Vengeance

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 05:02:03 PM »
on your bike i reckon red with Matt black would be the way to go ,,,, :007:

Offline Artful

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Leven, Fife
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 07:04:13 PM »
You could always opt for the mirror extenders from SW Motech

Online LAMBO281

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 02:47:01 PM »
Right, viper2 mirrors fitted, much cleaner field of view, smaller than standard, I am impressed, although a little bit of playing needed to get set up right.

Pics before and after

Offline oldzman

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Beaverton
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 05:32:46 PM »
Are these mirrors less susceptible to vibrations?

Online LAMBO281

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 05:42:48 PM »
Yes appear to be, although I have taken off so I can adjust whilst sat on the bike, a bit fiddly

Offline Vengeance

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 07:56:36 AM »
OK Guys

I have fitted a pair of these a couple of weeks ago & have the all black version (will post a photo when i figure out how to get the under the image size limit) , I would say that initially it was hard to tell what the difference was until you spend some time setting them up to you personal preference & you have to ride with them to see how much wider the field of view is because these have better adjust ability than the stock mirrors & can be adjusted so your shoulders are not in view whilst looking rearward.

They are very well made & excellent build quality & have not experienced any vibrations whilst idleing or riding.

Overall once set up to your own liking i would say for the money they are a great addition & the field of view once set up is an improvement but the the design is much better than the stock mirrors.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 08:03:00 AM by Vengeance »

dysfunctional