Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bar risers  (Read 7687 times)

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
Bar risers
« on: July 25, 2015, 07:51:23 AM »
Anyone fitted bar risers yet? If so, which ones, and did they increase/ decrease the "vibrations"?

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
Re: Bar risers
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 07:45:50 PM »
Anyone? :164:

I've read on another forum about risers causing more vibes, and using amalgamating tape, but don't want to create a problem by fitting these.

Offline clarryr

• Ex Member
  • XR Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 10:39:59 PM »
My dealer added a set on my bike.  I'll have to check on the brand - they are very substantial.  They made the bike much more comfortable to ride.  I sit up straighter which relieved a lot of pressure on my hands.  Bent over like I was - though I know better - I would find myself resting on my palms.  This caused a lot of hand fatigue, made the vibration more noticeable, and made the bike harder to steer.  Note that the risers require a longer brake line which also requires a brake bleed of course.  They risers they put on came with a 1.5" extender but now the brake line gets pinched in between the triple tree and the display.  That won't do, especially for slow speed maneuvering, so I had the dealer order a proper, longer, brake line.  What I have will work until then.
Larry
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 11:22:58 PM by clarryr »

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 02:09:45 AM »
Thanks for that info.  You just answered my question from your other post.
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 08:23:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by clarryr [+]
My dealer added a set on my bike.  I'll have to check on the brand - they are very substantial.  They made the bike much more comfortable to ride.  I sit up straighter which relieved a lot of pressure on my hands.  Bent over like I was - though I know better - I would find myself resting on my palms.  This caused a lot of hand fatigue, made the vibration more noticeable, and made the bike harder to steer.  Note that the risers require a longer brake line which also requires a brake bleed of course.  They risers they put on came with a 1.5" extender but now the brake line gets pinched in between the triple tree and the display.  That won't do, especially for slow speed maneuvering, so I had the dealer order a proper, longer, brake line.  What I have will work until then.
Larry

That's good to know. I'd like to add them, but don't want the vibes to suddenly appear. If you could let us know the make, that would be great.

Offline clarryr

• Ex Member
  • XR Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 04:39:56 PM »
Ok, I called my dealer and he told me the risers are from Ilium Works, www.iliumworks.com.  They are the mode 28-300.  Here's a picture or two of them mounted on my bike.  Looking at their website I see a bunch of other interesting stuff  :001:

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 12:33:05 AM »
Thanks for the info Larry.  Do you find that they decrease the vibration everyone has been talking about??   :305:
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline RoadRunner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Peoria
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 02:37:42 AM »
Larry - The risers look like they move the bars up and back; is that true?

Offline clarryr

• Ex Member
  • XR Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 05:45:58 AM »
Yes, the risers move the bars both up and back, about 1.5" in both directions.
They didn't remove the handlebar vibration but they did dampen it somewhat. And since I don't lean on them as hard the vibration is more tolerable. I really only notice it when I'm going straight at moderate speeds. In the twisties and high speeds I'm so focused on the ride that I don't notice the vibration at all. So I try to spend as much of my riding in the curves as possible. Really though, the vibration is there but I haven't done enough long distance riding for me to become annoyed by it yet.

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 08:38:22 AM »
Thanks for the responses. I've ordered these ones, as I had them on one of my last bikes.

http://www.nippynormans.com/products/s1000xr/item/wunderlich-silver-risers-25mm-up-only-r1200gs-lc-r1200-adventure-lc-s1000xr-wun-41970-011

Once they arrive, and I've fitted them, I'll report back. :028: