Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Headlight Melted  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Vauxhall1975

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Hemel hempstead
Headlight Melted
« on: January 22, 2018, 04:19:52 PM »
Anyone had the same thing?  I went on a long ride out the other day - there was a lot of main beam used to be fair on the return leg, but when i returned home for the annoying wash off i noticed the headlight had melted right in the middle of the beam pattern.  Bubbles where the plastic had melted and was red hot to the touch?
Completely standard bulbs and nothing other a new screen on the bike from new.  Very strange.  Luckily Mr BMW has the bike for inspection at present so hopefully they will return my pride and joy ASAP !   Shame as it was a mega ride out !!

Sad but i miss it already ! :)

Will post a pic later !

Online smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
Re: Headlight Melted
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 06:56:29 PM »
This seems to be happening to a lot of bikes these days, not just BMW, I have a neighbor with a Triumph America cruiser and his headlamp melted too, also with stock bulbs. I suspect it's just the cheap plastic lamps/lenses which are part of the problem. See a lot of my friends with Triumph speed triples with this issue too.  :027:

Lord Knobrot
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Vauxhall1975

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 08:04:37 AM »
At least I know I'm not totally alone in this issue then!  Thanks

Offline jskene

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Baltimore, MD
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 01:47:14 PM »
Yet another reason to switch to LED bulbs.

They generate less heat and most of it is dissipated out the back, away from the reflector.

Offline Vauxhall1975

• XR Junior
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 03:05:08 PM »
They did ask me if i had upgraded the lights in any way which I haven't  but have to be honest I'm considering leds now because of the heat precisely as you say.  Bet bmw wouldnt approve however...
Can't knock their emergency service recovery which was super quick and v professional start to finish   brilliant 

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 05:14:47 PM »
Anyone used LED bulbs?? which ones?
PSH

dysfunctional