Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Couple of differences '16 to '18  (Read 3899 times)

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '18 S1000XR
  • Town: SoCal
Couple of differences '16 to '18
« on: January 22, 2018, 07:40:48 PM »
I traded in my '16 XR with 34K miles for a new tricolor '18. Gorgeous bike! I did a 375 mile ride Saturday and only came away with two small differences.

First is that the '18 with stock bar end weights and only a few miles buzzes even less than my '16 with heavy weights, high miles and the handlebar update. They've probably done something they aren't talking about but the result is that the buzz is gone. Too bad they didn't take care of this starting in '15 which certainly would have resulted in better sales and a '17 model over here.

The other difference is not so positive and that is that the fueling on this Euro 4 compliant bike is not nearly as smooth down low as the '16 was. Its not real bad but definitely annoying. I ordered a Rapid Bike Easy to I'll see if fattening it up a bit sorts it.

Otherwise the '18 feels just like the '16 which is to say, fantastic!.

Marc

'18 S1000XR Premium
'15 BMW R1200GS Low

Offline clifw01

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Riverside Ca USA
Re: Couple of differences '16 to '18
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 09:58:32 PM »
Marc
Congratulations on the new bike. I remember you did quite a bit of suspension work on your 16. Did you swap the shock on forks and put it on the 18 or keep it on the 16?
Clif

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 10:30:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by clifw01 [+]
Marc
Congratulations on the new bike. I remember you did quite a bit of suspension work on your 16. Did you swap the shock on forks and put it on the 18 or keep it on the 16?
Clif
Hi Clif,
I swapped everything over. It took me 2 full days and I mean till 10 pm. The only thing left are the engine guards which I'm doing this afternoon. Kind of funny but when I was riding home the new one in its stock condition I was getting nervous that I might have made a mistake as the bike felt harsh and was bouncing around on the freeway and the reach to the bars was weird. After switching all the parts over as well as the seat it now feels exactly the same as the old one which was a huge relief. If I can get the low speed fueling sorted I'll be really tickled :-)

Marc
'18 S1000XR Premium
'15 BMW R1200GS Low

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 08:45:24 AM »
I went on a major learning curve with aftermarket fuelling in 2011 for  various reasons and currently on another,and the one major difference between the 15/16 and the 17/18 is the ECU it’s a totally different animal.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 05:12:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by marcparnes [+]
I traded in my '16 XR with 34K miles for a new tricolor '18. Gorgeous bike! I did a 375 mile ride Saturday and only came away with two small differences.

First is that the '18 with stock bar end weights and only a few miles buzzes even less than my '16 with heavy weights, high miles and the handlebar update. They've probably done something they aren't talking about but the result is that the buzz is gone. Too bad they didn't take care of this starting in '15 which certainly would have resulted in better sales and a '17 model over here.

The other difference is not so positive and that is that the fueling on this Euro 4 compliant bike is not nearly as smooth down low as the '16 was. Its not real bad but definitely annoying. I ordered a Rapid Bike Easy to I'll see if fattening it up a bit sorts it.

Otherwise the '18 feels just like the '16 which is to say, fantastic!.

Marc

I have a 17 XR and I previously had a 15 XR. The 17 has the EU 4 engine. As the engine has a lot more miles is becomes much smoother and I only really experience uneven running when the bike is very hot in traffic.

With regard to the RapidBike Easy I was thinking about one of these. Can you let me know how this works please.
PSH

Offline CobraKai

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: CA
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 05:22:31 PM »
I knew the Euro4 version would have worse fueling since the displacement and all the hardware is the same. The only way to pass would be to lean it out. Curious why you switched to the 2018?

My 16 XR has so little vibration now at 4000 miles it doesn't even cross my mind anymore. There is just enough to let me know the engine is working but not distracting at all. I do however find the intake howl rather obnoxious.

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 11:00:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by CobraKai [+]
I knew the Euro4 version would have worse fueling since the displacement and all the hardware is the same. The only way to pass would be to lean it out. Curious why you switched to the 2018?

My 16 XR has so little vibration now at 4000 miles it doesn't even cross my mind anymore. There is just enough to let me know the engine is working but not distracting at all. I do however find the intake howl rather obnoxious.
The buzz in the '16 never bothered me either. I had 34K miles on the '16 so near the warranty end and besides to be honest, I just wanted a new bike and this one is beautiful :038:

Marc
'18 S1000XR Premium
'15 BMW R1200GS Low

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 11:03:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
With regard to the RapidBike Easy I was thinking about one of these. Can you let me know how this works please.
I just took it for a little test ride to get it up to temp and the Easy seems to have fattened it up just enough to smooth out the low rev running. No major difference but definitely better.

Marc
'18 S1000XR Premium
'15 BMW R1200GS Low

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 05:08:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by marcparnes [+]
I just took it for a little test ride to get it up to temp and the Easy seems to have fattened it up just enough to smooth out the low rev running. No major difference but definitely better.

Marc

Was it easy to fit? How long did it take?
PSH

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 05:14:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
Was it easy to fit? How long did it take?
Would have been nice if they had supplied an additional couple of inches of cable on the right side but no big deal. Just have to be creative routing the cables. I'd say it took about 45 minutes but I'm a nut about hiding wires so that took some of it. Its invisible now so probably the dealer will miss it when it goes for its 600 mile service  :002:

Marc
'18 S1000XR Premium
'15 BMW R1200GS Low