Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How to tie down  (Read 1581 times)

Offline postaddict

• XR Junior
How to tie down
« on: January 23, 2018, 09:13:30 PM »
Where the owners manual says to tie down at the lower triple clamp, the steering dampner is in the way and the straps wont clear the fairings. I'm confused. Does anyone have a photo of their bike strapped down?

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: How to tie down
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 09:36:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by postaddict [+]
Where the owners manual says to tie down at the lower triple clamp, the steering dampner is in the way and the straps wont clear the fairings. I'm confused. Does anyone have a photo of their bike strapped down?

I'm not sure what you want to tie the bike down to. If its a trailer or in the back of the van, Then I use tyrefix it holds the rear or front wheel and ratchet traps down to a fixing point. I use them all the time on the track day bikes and they do not budge an inch.
If you Google Tyrefix tie down you will find them also check on Ebay...
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline postaddict

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 09:44:57 PM »
Apologies I should have put explained it a little better. The bike is being ferried across to Tasmania where we start a week tour of the island. I'm told the ship staff are fully experienced at loading vehicles but they also have a disclaimer saying not liable for any damage 😠. I want to know if what they end up doing is ok and potentially avoid damage. They'll be strapping down to ground anchors using ratchet straps.

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 10:03:19 PM »
All the ships I've used have used ground anchors and all have used a ratchet strap over the seat with a pad under the ratchet to prevent damage.

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 10:59:03 PM »
Yes I can confirm what forestboy says, I use the ferry`s quite often and its just a ratchet strap across the seat I normally put an old towel on the seat for protection and it works ok.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 11:48:30 AM »
As the OP is on the other side of the world who knows what they do i’ve lost track on the variations that I’ve come across over the years even down to who does it,i’ve had several occasions when i’ve Told the deck hands to feck off and i’ll do it myself.

The foam pad for the seat is recent inovation and when that hasn’t been available put my gloves underneath.

On its side stand in gear couple elastic bands over the handlebar and brake lever.

Oh and have some understanding of how a ratchet works because the majority haven’t got a clue coming back from bike meetings abroad i’ve Been into double figures undoing such on other bikes.

Offline postaddict

• XR Junior
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 11:54:04 AM »
I have set sail. I watched them tie it down and they went around the fork above the triple. They also did the elastic band around the brake lever. It's leaning on the sidestand.

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 12:28:46 PM »
I wouldn't let them use a ratchet strap over the seat, despite a cushion.   Had one seat dented for weeks afterwards.

I take my own ratchet straps (so you know they are clean and grit-free) - and use them around the frame or footrests. They are generally lighter (but adequate) than the Ferry's ones. Leave in gear on the sidestand.

As Winger says - lots of travellers have no idea how to ratchet down and release the straps, especially the ferry-supplied ones which can be rather temperamental.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 01:00:02 PM »
Sea France used to have slot that you ran your front wheel into so the bike stood up on its own,the guy then wanted to ratchet the bike down at the back till the shock was on its bump stop,was an interesting conversation.

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 06:14:48 PM »

I did the euro tunnel in September, side stand in gear at an angle and that was it. OK going out, just leant on the bike. Coming back was a different story, all I can say is lucky all 5 of us were stood very near our bikes, god knows what the driver was doing but he braked harsh which tipped the bikes and we all saved our own bikes.
Fast transfer but sub standard care for motorcyclists in 2017 !
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.