Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Air Filter  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Boneman1

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Southampton
Air Filter
« on: January 24, 2018, 09:40:16 AM »
I want to change the stock air filter to an after market one made by Sprint. It has a polyester mesh that Is guaranteed for life and very easy to clean just with compressed air. Used in Moto Gp allegedly.
Anybody with experience using it advice much appreciated

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Air Filter
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 11:36:32 AM »
I’ve a mate who is treading a similar path as me with his TS1050 and the above filter came up in conversation while he was talking to his local dyno man he opinioned it was no better than any of the other aftermarket filters.

Offline LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Berkshire UK
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 12:54:37 PM »
When I got the XR this was something I wanted to do but read somewhere (maybe here) that once changed actually started giving his bike problems so put me off.
If you do put a k and n in will be interesting to see what the difference is :305:

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 12:55:57 PM »
I’m going gone DNA.

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 02:36:49 PM »
I got BMW to put a K&N in at the 600 mile service so I've not noticed any power difference, just a bit more induction noise but a nice noise, however I'll not need to change the filter for 50 thousand miles just clean and re spray with the K&N cleaner.

I think there is a pre-filter snorkel that you can remove which opens up the air box to be fair I've not removed it yet!

After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 02:58:27 PM »
Just sticking a different filter ain’t gonna particularly with all the crap between the engine and the end end Just part of the jigsaw puzzle of getting the engine to breath as it should before the TUV got their hands on the bike.

Offline LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Town: Berkshire UK
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 03:13:34 PM »
K and n has to be good and worth it

Offline CobraKai

• XR Member
  • Town: CA
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 05:18:22 PM »
Please don't put a K&N in... they are horrible. I've bought used bikes with K&N filters installed. You know what the airbox was covered in? Dirt! It will ruin the longevity of your engine for no real gain at all.

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 05:30:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by CobraKai [+]
Please don't put a K&N in... they are horrible. I've bought used bikes with K&N filters installed. You know what the airbox was covered in? Dirt! It will ruin the longevity of your engine for no real gain at all.

I ran K&N's in my K1200s for 25 thousand mile or more rains an shine never had an issue like that, they still need to be serviced but you don't have to keep getting new filters, on the K12 and K13's I had I did get better performance more so on the K12 and a bit better fuel economy as well, pays your money that your choice.
After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

Offline CobraKai

• XR Member
  • Town: CA
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 05:37:38 PM »
It's just not worth it. You can buy 3 OEM air filters for the price of one K&N. They won't let any dirt in. You might gain 1hp at redline with a K&N. If you need 1hp extra on a 160hp bike, something is very wrong.

I stand by my hate for the oiled gauze :D