Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fog light ideas.  (Read 4340 times)

Offline dkaplun

• XR Member
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR
  • Town: Philadelphia
Fog light ideas.
« on: January 26, 2018, 11:48:19 PM »
I have been trying to find OEM fog lights that match the XR and it appears that none exist.  If I am wrong, please let me know and link me to the setup.

If I am not wrong, what ideas have you guys come up with?  I want an LED set with a fairly powerful and long distance beam because I ride at night, and something that does not force me to put on a bulky switch on the bike--in-dash somewhere would be ideal.  Has anyone here done something like that to their bike yet?

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Fog light ideas.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 01:07:47 AM »
Plenty of topics in this section, and I found this one:   https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,672.0.html

Offline Gbjbany

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 s1000xr
  • Town: Sacramento, ca
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 01:36:32 AM »
Many people use Clearwater or Denali d1, with a skene , both are not cheap but are considered quality

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 01:51:09 AM »
https://www.jaycar.com.au/compact-25w-solid-led-spotlight/p/SL3930

Ive used these lamps on my last four bikes and teamed with a Skene controller they are fantastic. I have an on/off switch mounted in the power outlet hole and the operation is controlled via the existing high beam switch. The last pair I bought for $70 AUD from ebay. There are plenty of threads on this forum about LED light setups.

If you have the skills to do the work yourself then it can be done easily under $300. If you have money to burn the Clearwater kits are good - Wonderwheel and CAN integration is a cool gimmick IMO though. Once you have set your preferred hi/low intensity, do you really need to scroll brightness up and down?
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 02:03:18 PM »
I still believe that BMW will be releasing a branded fog light set.  A glimpse of the dash reveals an icon on the left side for fog-light indicators.

I'd just be happy with a nice set of mounts.  I still can't find the right place to hang them.  :174:
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline Motoman

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Naples, Fl.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 12:18:04 PM »
Fitted the new Weiser combo LED/Turn signal and they put out a surprising amount of light. Not cheap at 250 US dollars but a nice safety feature too so its worth it to me. :152:
*Originally Posted by dkaplun [+]
I have been trying to find OEM fog lights that match the XR and it appears that none exist.  If I am wrong, please let me know and link me to the setup.

If I am not wrong, what ideas have you guys come up with?  I want an LED set with a fairly powerful and long distance beam because I ride at night, and something that does not force me to put on a bulky switch on the bike--in-dash somewhere would be ideal.  Has anyone here done something like that to their bike yet?

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 12:56:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Motoman [+]
Fitted the new Weiser combo LED/Turn signal ...

These? ---> LINK?

I love that these work while maintaining my super sexy slim S1000XR hot attractiveness qualities.

However, I want driving lights that will throw ample forward light enough to call out stilted tree rats a mile forward where they hide in a ditch, and potentially ignite them spontaneously into flaming four-legged appetizers. 

Also, it appears that they are constant-on?

How much do these units throw out?  :027:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 01:37:11 PM by Low-Brau »
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline Motoman

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Naples, Fl.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 03:52:32 PM »
Yes that is the kit I put on my bike. I don't ride a lot at night. I bought these more for the safety factor and yes they are on all the time. Blue hairs will see me now! We have a lot of those in SW Florida.   :028:

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 01:35:39 AM »
Looks like they're made for being seen, rather than improving your night vision
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline dkaplun

• XR Member
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR
  • Town: Philadelphia
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 01:43:17 AM »
Thank you for the feedback.  To be honest I want them to be as streamlined and as unobtrusive as possible.  Strength of beam is nice but not necessary, although I got a bit spouled by the turning lights on my Multistrada and my KTM SA and would have loved a similar option.  Mostly I just want to see further as I at times ride in the woods and deer are a problem.  Sounds like I should either wait for BMW or go Denali D2.

dysfunctional