Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Greetings from SoCal  (Read 3040 times)

Offline marcdanz

• XR Junior
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR SE
  • Town: Los Angeles, CA
Greetings from SoCal
« on: January 27, 2018, 11:22:18 PM »
Hi! I'm awaiting the arrival of a new-to-me '16 XR from Seattle next week (assuming I'm in town to get it...). Really excited to get the bike - a little anxious too. I rode one of the first ones here in SoCal and the bars shook like a Sportster.

I have two friends with XR's who swear the issue is resolved - but I worry!

The bike will replace a Tiger 1050 (and possible a Street Triple R) that I've been riding for a few years.

I commute when I work in LA, I tour with my wife (she rides a Ninja 650ABS), and do weekend sporty rides with my friends. Hoping I have a do-it-all bike.

My first BMW, so forgive me in advance for all the self-effacing "New BMW Owner" jokes.

Marc

Offline otrp

• XR Master
Re: Greetings from SoCal
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 01:10:25 AM »
Hello Marc and welcome to the forum. The vibes disappear with milage, at least they did with mine.  I have no heavier bar end weights and I have not done the 2017 bar bushing retro fit. My 16 was very viby when new, but it smoothed out nicely starting around 1200 miles or so and got better with more miles. Have no fear.  You will love the bike.    :002:

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 09:28:55 AM »
  :400: Hi And enjoy the bike, if you were looking for an excellent all-rounder then you picked the right machine. I personally have never suffered with vibes ( they are there but no worse than other bikes I've owned ) . Enjoy............... :305: :305: :305: :305:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Spokane, WA.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 09:44:00 AM »
Marccdanz - Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully, you'll enjoy the XR as much as I and many on this forum. Heck, the more I ride it, the more I appreciate it. As for "HANDLEBAR VIBES" on the 2016 model, they were never really an issue for me. Yes, they were there when I 1st purchased it with about 800 miles on the clock, but no more, no less, no worse, no better than the previous Triumphs, Aprillias and BMW opposed twins I had. However, after reading some reviews from various journalist and owners about problems with "handlebar vibes",  it started bothering me (ah, the power of the written word and I drank the kool-aid). Anyway, at about 1200 miles, I got the 2017 bar bushing retrofit, which improved the issue (which, was never really an issue), with about a 30% improvement. Now at about 5,500 I don't notice, or have any handlebar vibe issue.

Anyway, IMO (laced with a bit of sarcasm) for those wanting "no" handlebar vibes, try considering a Goldwing, K1600 etc. etc., or get a Volvo S60. because the XR is really a "high-performance" sportbike with an attitude, that has an upright riding position, looks like an adventure bike, but can be ridden all day in great comfort.
mike k

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 09:48:24 AM »
 :400:

I'm sure it won't disappoint!

Mine is a 2016, with weighted bar-ends.   Yes, a little bit buzzy, but no worse (just different) than the R1200 GSA.

:028:

Offline LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Town: Berkshire UK
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 11:41:53 AM »
Mine 16 XR bar ends, 17 retrofit bungs done and to be sure grip puppies!  0 vibes!!!

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR whi
  • Town: NY Metro
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 11:48:59 AM »
Marc I've had two Striples, one R, one base, and have ridden a Tiger 1050 a couple of times.  If you had to replace an R and a t-1050 with one bike the XR is the one bike that would keep you from missing either one.

Offline marcdanz

• XR Junior
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR SE
  • Town: Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 01:07:40 AM »
Thanks for all the notes, everyone!

Amusingly, one of our cars is a V60...then again, it's a Polestar...

Can't wait to get the bike!

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Master
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 01:51:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by marcdanz [+]

My first BMW, so forgive me in advance for all the self-effacing "New BMW Owner" jokes.

I'm on my first BMW also.  Nobody here has made fun of me for that.

They make fun of me for all the other things I do... but not for owning a BMW.  :192:
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Spokane, WA.
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 07:12:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by marcdanz [+]
Thanks for all the notes, everyone! Amusingly, one of our cars is a V60...then again, it's a Polestar...

You're a man of good taste, I too have a V60 and wish I had your Polestar version, however my T5, with the new 4 cylinder, gets the job done, "just enough" to make happy here in So. Cal. (however, I'm always thinking about getting the Polestar chip).
mike k

dysfunctional