Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Top end rattle  (Read 2597 times)

Offline Bradleyr21

• XR Junior
Top end rattle
« on: January 28, 2018, 09:31:21 PM »
Just thought I would share my recent experience. I have had my XR 1 year so a 2017 bike and have done 6,000 miles. I was getting a rattle on start up and more recently the rattle was there all the time. I put it in for its first service and asked for the rattle to be checked. They tried doing the chain tensioner swap but it was still there. Bike still with them, they had a visiting BMW head office Technician look at it and he asked them to check out the camshafts. Sure enough there is an issue and the cams are excessively worn!  I have read on forums some camshafts weren't manufactured correctly - not hardened properly. Waiting for new parts to come from Germany. Dealer has been great and very proactive. Looking forward to getting it back.

So if you've got a top end rattle that doesn't go away have it checked out.

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Top end rattle
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 11:00:29 PM »
Its always a sh*t when things go wrong, But its great to know that you get the back up when it does. Three years ago I got rid of my Triumph Tiger because of the appalling treatment that I received from Triumph.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 12:31:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
Three years ago I got rid of my Triumph Tiger because of the appalling treatment that I received from Triumph.

That'll learn ya..! :016:

Pity really as I also like the Triumph triples, they're a great engine.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 08:10:24 AM »
My Tiger has over 40,000 on it and still runs well.

Interesting that the dealer is going to repair the X/R guys I know with RR’s have just had a new lump put in.

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 08:49:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
That'll learn ya..! :016:

Pity really as I also like the Triumph triples, they're a great engine.

Smithy.

The shame is I have lost faith in the Triumph, within my circle of biking mates there does seem to be an underlining trend with reliability.
And the lack of back up from the dealers when things do go wrong. Great engine when running okay.

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 08:56:44 AM »
A group I occasionally ride with was predominantly Triumph 3 years ago now down to 2 and neither of them will use the local Triumph dealer because of terrible service. Had a couple of dealings with them myself and not someone I'd buy a bike from.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 09:58:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
My Tiger has over 40,000 on it and still runs well.

Interesting that the dealer is going to repair the X/R guys I know with RR’s have just had a new lump put in.

I sense that BMW are tightening up, and dealers are dismantling and rebuilding engines with new components - for paint warranty claims.    (including barrels)

I'm sure they know what they are doing, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 12:02:08 PM »
My first 885i Tiger lasted 6 weeks based on that experience I should have never bought another my 955 is 17 years old in May been every where from Portugal to Polish boarder many times and it’s been an absolute wonder.

By contrast my K1200 has been the biggest heap of junk that I have had the misfortune to buy in 49 years of biking, recalls?? God knows how many it’s had  :230:

Clutches?? It’s on it’s 3rd it’s done an ABS unit and an alternator and still not done 13000 miles the longest thread on any UK site is always the extended warranty.

It broke down last summer on the way to the east coast last year combined with the RAC’s incompetence nearly bloody killed us.

The two questions I always get why do I still keep it.

A  because I can afford too and B because I actually like it but based on my experience I most certainly shouldn’t have bought another BMW.

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 12:37:00 PM »
Maybe the answer is staring you in the Face. If the BMW is that much sh#t get rid of, then you wont have anything to complain about..

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 01:27:24 PM »
With a Triumph and a Yamaha in the garage their inconvience I can afford.

As so many point out to me why is BMW’s warranty so good  :001:

dysfunctional