Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Suspension settings  (Read 7641 times)

Offline Wookie

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Marlow
Suspension settings
« on: July 27, 2015, 08:55:29 AM »
Would be interested in hearing peoples thoughts on the suspension settings. For me all the settings seem on the sports bike side of things and as an "all day adventure/tourer" could do with a softer setting in road/rider only mode. Particularly at the rear. 

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
Re: Suspension settings
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 03:09:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wookie [+]
Would be interested in hearing peoples thoughts on the suspension settings. For me all the settings seem on the sports bike side of things and as an "all day adventure/tourer" could do with a softer setting in road/rider only mode. Particularly at the rear.

Yep, it's a lot firmer than my GSA on the B roads, but isn't as bad as say an RR.

Offline Petebaldy

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000 XR SE
  • Town: Huddersfield
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 06:39:27 AM »
Yes I think they would have been better having a touring mode rather than a pro mode as the pro mode on mine just lets you do wheelies doesn't feel any different to dynamic mode and my partner doesn't like it on the back finds it too hard apart from that it's the best handling bike I've ever had in mad mode.

Offline toddhollander

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMWR1200GS
  • Town: EMMAUS, PA
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 02:40:57 PM »
I would like some clarification on the adjustability of the suspension. I am presently riding a R1200 GS camhead and when riding with my wife we have the preload on two helmets and mostly use the comfort mode for shock damping. On occasion, when we hit some smooth twisties, I use sport mode and we sport ride around quire nicely. There is a huge difference as the bike firms up and doesn't wallow around like it would on "comfort".
I am cross shopping the new XR, KTM Superadventure, and Multi DVT. As of now, after riding my friends XR for a brief ride have scheduled a proper test ride this weekend. I loved the motor on his XR and especially the shift assist. Amazing tech! Is it possible to change the shock damping individually within the separate ride modes? I have downloaded the owners manual but can't seem to find the answer. It seems as though the ride modes come with default shock settings and you CAN"T change them. Is this correct? Am  missing something? Thanks in advance.

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 09:42:51 PM »
It lets you choose between dynamic and road in several different riding senarios.  One up, One up with luggage, two up, etc.  Dynamic is firmer than road but you get the same multiple options for both of those settings.  Hope that makes sense.   :002:
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline toddhollander

• XR Junior
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 10:07:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply. My specific question is when in "road" for example, Can you change the shock damping to comfort or sport without changing the drive by wire throttle response? I would guess that in "Dynamic" you gets lots of throttle with a small amount of twist.
Thanks

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 04:23:44 AM »
If you are in "road" mode for the fuel mapping ( right hand switch- you can change modes while moving ) it's my understandinig that you need to adjust the suspension via the suspension link on the left hand set of switches while the bike is "not" in motion. 
You can choose between Road/softer and Dynamic/firmer suspension with various settings for the load being accommodated.
Changing the suspension would not change the fuel mapping that you have set on the right hand set of switches.  Hope that helps.   
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline toddhollander

• XR Junior
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 12:07:24 PM »
OK,
The left hand switch not only adjusts preload, one helmet, two helmets, but also road/dynamic as well.
Thanks,
I hope to check it out this Friday.

Offline toddhollander

• XR Junior
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 09:39:45 PM »
I finally found the info on page 52 of the owners manual. It's too bad you can't adjust the dampening on the fly and have to stop before you hit the twisties. Oh well.

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 09:45:38 PM »
Yep, that's pretty much been the standard for a while now.
But, at least you get to adjust the mapping while on the fly.
That really helps if you are in Dynamic or Dynamic Pro fuel mapping and get caught in a rain storm!   :002:

dysfunctional