Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: TRAVEL INSURANCE  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
TRAVEL INSURANCE
« on: January 31, 2018, 07:35:44 AM »

One fairly new 'condition' to some travel insurance - appears to be the condition that "Cover is restricted/void if you are in such a state (from drink or drugs) as your judgement is impaired" (paraphrased).

This would seem to leave you high and dry if anyone on the policy gets hammered and then falls off their hotel balcony. Even if the fall kills you - I doubt if the underwriter would pay for your final trip home. Worthwhile reading the policy in its entirety.

This would probably also apply to stumbling on a kerb when staggering home from the pub and you break your arm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42878841

Worth remembering, when a medivac from Continental Europe can cost in excess of £30,000.

Offline Bree

• XR God
Re: TRAVEL INSURANCE
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 02:42:25 PM »
Good Information.
Another one that could catch you out with dire consecences. When I read the small print it clearly stated that you are not covered when riding a Motorcycle. I checked with the Insurance company because I was under the Impression they were talking about Hire Bike abroad and NO it covers riding any motorcycle abroad.  For your Information the Company was ` Insureandgo` A big well known company.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 05:00:39 PM »
To be fair when we away on the bike I go to carole nash for Holiday insurance it covers the bike kit and your riding kit as well normally £50 ish for the two of us.
After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 06:25:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
Good Information.
Another one that could catch you out with dire consecences. When I read the small print it clearly stated that you are not covered when riding a Motorcycle. I checked with the Insurance company because I was under the Impression they were talking about Hire Bike abroad and NO it covers riding any motorcycle abroad.  For your Information the Company was ` Insureandgo` A big well known company.

Bloody hell I need to read the small print thats who ours is with. :138: :138:

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 07:28:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by forestboy [+]
Bloody hell I need to read the small print thats who ours is with. :138: :138:

Hi Mate I would give them a call ( customer service ) My policy definitly excluded riding motorcycles. They did agree to cancel the policy and refund the money but it was whithin the fourteen day period.  Let me know how you get on..... Ps I am now with Coverwise .co.uk

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 08:25:00 PM »
By all means - phone (in the first instance), but make sure that you read carefully- the policy document itself.

That is usually available online for download- before you commit to the purchase.

Dont rely on what they say on the phone

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 08:32:29 PM »
This outfit comes recommended:

http://www.getgoinginsurance.co.uk

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 08:37:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
By all means - phone (in the first instance), but make sure that you read carefully- the policy document itself.

That is usually available online for download- before you commit to the purchase.

Yep I did say to read the policy document first. But it is a good back up to phone them to clarify if you have any doubts.

I would also give a good recommendation to Coverwise .co.uk / price competitive and call centre very helpful.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 08:53:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]

Your not kidding

We’ve always found the acid test comes with ‘Motorcycles’ only to read the small print ‘nothing over 125’ the engine size is the first thing we check,we always go for a 12 month policy used Carol Nash for years till they got too expensive and we went else where.

dysfunctional