Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin pr5 - any thoughts?  (Read 7770 times)

Offline FZZup

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Dorchester
Michelin pr5 - any thoughts?
« on: February 07, 2018, 09:05:15 PM »
Bikes got 1st year service next week and needs new rubber. Rear (Pirelli super corsa 2) is down to the carcass after 3500miles.  Dealer suggested Michelin pr5’s. They’re pretty new to market. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with them?

Online Bree

• XR God
Re: Michelin pr5 - any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 10:10:35 PM »
You know how to open up a can of worms. haha,,,,  It really will be down to your own choices here as you will be given a long list of riders preferences.  I am not a great lover of Michelin tyres and reviews I have read on these PR5s are very varied. For my ten pence worth after trying various makes MY money is on either Metzeler Roadtec01 or Pirelli Angel GT. But as I said others may beg to disagree. Happy Hunting... :305: :305: 
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 08:30:06 AM »
I doubt if anyone has any serious mileage on them yet?

In fact - has anyone on the forum fitted them yet?

Now could be the time to get a pair of PR4s at a better price, though.

Current favs appear to be:

Dunlop Roadsmart 3
Metzeler Roadtec 01
Conti Road Attack 3
Pirelli Angel GT
Michelin Pilot Road 4

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 09:15:02 AM »
I’ve said before I lead a complicated life when it comes to all thing motorcycle and tyres even more so but who the hell goes to a motorcycle dealer for tyres  :005:

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 09:31:53 AM »
I have had the odd good deal from the dealer.........

Offline Morse

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Northampton
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 10:53:04 AM »
After 500-ish (cold & wet) Road 5 miles, I reckon they are a bit more compliant and give a softer ride than the PR4. Can't say if the wet grip is any better because the PR4's were so good but the overall handling is brilliant in my opinion.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 11:21:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
I have had the odd good deal from the dealer.........

The one thing i’m Never going to get into is prices but bike dealers never buy them in big enough quantities and the one company you do need to keep an eye on M+P because from time to time they come up with prices that even the trade can’t get their heads round.

I’ve a mate who had a pair of 5’s fitted beginning of jan going from 4’s but at this time of year with the roads being like they are!! Who knows.

I’ll be sticking with my Sport Smart on the front no matter what and either the same on the rear or RS for a trip.

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 01:28:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
I’ll be sticking with my Sport Smart on the front no matter what and either the same on the rear or RS for a trip.

On that very subject:   How many miles do you reckon on getting on the Rear Roadsmart and the front Sportsmart?

I have a pair of Roadsmarts to get fitted before summer, but appreciate the benefit of having the SS on the front.

Thanks.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 02:17:21 PM »
As I said in the post my life is very complicated when it comes to tyres fir some bizarre reason I have end up with Road Smarts front and rear on my 1100s don’t ask me how must be the Alzheimer’s  :001:.

It steers like a bike does with such but I much prefer the feel of a SS and as with any tyre it’s all about confidence in what you have underneath you and in my case i’ll Take a soft sports tyre every time.

The pair of SS on my X/R have done 3000 the rear has started to loose its shape but won’t be changed till it’s been to the dyno the front is good and more importantly the right shape but if we use it to go Le-Mans in April i’ll Change both for probably for SS’s

Re the Road Smart on the rear? Don’t know because I haven’t put one on yet but I use the same combo on my K1200r and it works fine.

I’m the last person ask about miles on a tyre because the moment they start to loose their shape their gone but I have RS on a spare wheel for my K and I guess it’s done 4K and just starting to square off but i’ve No doubt some folks would squeeze another 2k out of it at least.

Offline FZZup

• XR Member
  • Town: Dorchester
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 09:54:39 PM »
Thanks one and all for feedback. I’ve decided to go for Conti RA3. I have a very scientific method for choosing, write the top 5 tyres on pieces of paper, wrap them in dog treats, give to the dog, and see which comes out first  :745:.
Seriously, as someone back to biking after a 20 year break I don’t know whether I’m more surprised how  how poor the mileage was out of the Pirelli’s, or how much tyre choice there is out there. I think my last tyres on my  fz750 were continentals  so choice made......( sigh of relief from Fido..)

dysfunctional