Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery  (Read 2559 times)

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Battery
« on: February 09, 2018, 11:36:46 AM »
How many of you with 15/16 X/R’s running on the original battery,I actually bought a brand new original one end of last year as back up for as and when,now the lithium on my SuperMoto is 4 years old and still going strong but i’ve Had my fingers burned with my Kr and I now change that every 2 years.

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
Re: Battery
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 11:55:34 AM »
My original  battery failed at 20 months. This one will be changed at 2 years if it lasts that long.
Think most of my bikes batteries only last about 2 years especially with heavy winter use.
Do use Optimate but doesn't make it last longer.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:57:45 AM by forestboy »

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 01:08:22 PM »
Mine failed at just under 12months, so luckily they warrantied it.

I have not had a battery fail for years as I either bring them inside over winter or they are on battery conditioners.

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 01:42:07 PM »
Original still on mine, but I always keep them on a Optimate. Works for me and since using Battery conditioners I have never had a Battery failure. I only change them when the Optimate shows me that there is a charging problem easy peasy. :305: :305:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 06:16:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
Mine failed at just under 12months, so luckily they warrantied it.

I have not had a battery fail for years as I either bring them inside over winter or they are on battery conditioners.

When the battery went belly was it possible to bump the bike or if you jumped the battery would it run,the reason I ask my K won’t run period when battery is flat.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 06:40:28 PM »
I think a lot of modern bikes - require some form of ability in a battery, if only for a slight ‘buffer’.

If the battery is absolutely goosed with a dead cell - then the Alternator won’t run the bike - direct.

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 06:50:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
When the battery went belly was it possible to bump the bike or if you jumped the battery would it run,the reason I ask my K won’t run period when battery is flat.

Mine was dead flat just about lit up the dash lights but wouldn't turn the engine over and went flat with no warning and the bike is used all the time. Biggest problem I was off that day to start a 2000 plus mile charity ride.
Jump started it and kept it running until I got to Cheltenham 20 miles away where I got a new battery. It was dead flat still after 20 miles.

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
  • Town: SoCal
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 07:18:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
I think a lot of modern bikes - require some form of ability in a battery, if only for a slight ‘buffer’.

If the battery is absolutely goosed with a dead cell - then the Alternator won’t run the bike - direct.
Exactly right. These are excited field alternators like used in modern cars and need a minimal amount of input current in order to generate output current. You can push it till you're blue in the face and nothing is going to happen  :110:
'18 Honda Goldwing DCT
'17 Honda VFR1200X DCT

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 07:58:13 PM »
That’ll do for me,i’ve Had a bike on an Optimate in past taken it off gone 175 miles down the road and it fell fell flat on its face and why I only use such periodically so i’ve Had 2 years out of it,it’s gone.

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 10:14:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
That’ll do for me,i’ve Had a bike on an Optimate in past taken it off gone 175 miles down the road and it fell fell flat on its face and why I only use such periodically so i’ve Had 2 years out of it,it’s gone.

The Good thing with the Optimate is it shows you if you have a failed cell or it will not hold a charge, you just have to interpret the sequence of lights that's what there designed to do. So as long as the charge lights stay as they should then the Battery is in top form and is good to go....     :305: :305:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.