Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How to Create Routes with the NAV  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
How to Create Routes with the NAV
« on: February 11, 2018, 01:56:03 PM »
I was frustrated with how terribly awful Garmin GPS products are - especially in conjunction with Basecamp.  (To those that don't know it yet, our Navigator IV, V and so on are actually Garmins with a roundel plastered on them).

I found a gentleman on the ST-Owners forum who made a series of videos on YouTube that completely demystify the Gamin SatNavs and Basecamp.  He explains the logic behind the madness and compltely cleared up my confusion.

He has published over 10 videos explaining the quirks of Garmin, and I give you the link for the first installment, which he actually made to help explain this all to a friend:

LINKY

John has also published a brief PDF which concisely slices through the confusion.  I don't want to post it here without his permission.  If he gives the okay, I'll add it...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 01:58:16 PM by Low-Brau »
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
Re: How to Create Routes with the NAV
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 02:44:52 PM »
Had a Garmin 660 for 8 years fantastic bit of kit used it on 5 continents and over 70 countries.
Basecamp however is garbage gave up on it years ago. Now use Tyretotravel which is  designed by bikers for bikes and so easy to use for planning rides anywhere in the world and links to the sat nav seamlessly.

Here's a link try it out.

www.tyretotravel.com

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 02:53:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by forestboy [+]
Had a Garmin 660 for 8 years fantastic bit of kit used it on 5 continents and over 70 countries.
Basecamp however is garbage gave up on it years ago. Now use Tyretotravel which is  designed by bikers for bikes and so easy to use for planning rides anywhere in the world and links to the sat nav seamlessly.

Here's a link try it out.

www.tyretotravel.com

Very interesting.  This is new to me!
-Erik

-- zbdmark

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 02:59:10 PM »
Yep same for me, gave up on Basecamp. I mostly do my own now. Just switch on and put in start point .... put in end point. And then put in Via points along the route that you want. You can tailor the route by omitting major routes town centres etc. IT also gives you the opportunity to change your route as you go. I also borrow the routes from Ride Magazine and load them in myself its quicker than trying to use Basecamp. Got to fill the Time whilst looking at the sleet coming down and dreaming of that warm breeze as I'm crossing the Picos.
 :305: :305: :305:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 03:06:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Low-Brau [+]
Very interesting.  This is new to me!

Try it out it's brilliant  :028:

Offline eljay998

• XR Member
  • From R to XR....
  • Bike: S1000XR sport SE
  • Town: hockley
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 04:00:11 PM »
Doesn't work with Mac  :003:
S1000XR sport SE

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 04:29:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by eljay998 [+]
Doesn't work with Mac  :003:

I've followed John's advice and videos to the point where I actually enjoy Basecamp routing now.  And, I'm on a Mac.
-Erik

-- zbdmark

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 06:29:37 PM »
Basecamp is a good piece of software once you get to know it. Much more powerful than anything else. I have a Mac, I hear basecamp is better on a Mac.

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 06:45:41 PM »
Not sure if it is better on a Mac, but when you come to try to ‘elastic band’ your route (to drag a point on the proposed route to a waypoint you want to include) - you have to hold down the “command’ key while you do it .

The other option that Basecamp gives - is to transfer two versions of the same route to your Garmin.     So - you can make up the route with as many ‘’shaping points’ as you want/need - and then transfer the route to your Garmin as:

1) The route with all the shaping points included (to allow you to modify easily on the road)
2). The same route with only the start and finish shown.  (This allows you to bypass parts of the route, and it wont take you back to any waypoints in the rearview mirror - but will take you back onto the route the easiest way).

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '18 S1000XR
  • Town: SoCal
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 07:08:12 PM »
Just a note that if you're planning on sharing a route from one Nav to another using Bluetooth do not use shaping points. Shaping points do not make the transfer via Bluetooth. I brought this to Garmin's attention over a year ago and they have yet to address it. Use via points rather than shaping points and your route will transfer as designed.

Marc
'18 S1000XR Premium
'15 BMW R1200GS Low