Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New XR Owner - Colorado, USA  (Read 2187 times)

Offline jacart

• XR Junior
  • Bike: bmw s1000xr
  • Town: Arvada, CO
New XR Owner - Colorado, USA
« on: February 18, 2018, 12:57:55 AM »
Hi,
Picked up my "new" XR last Friday.  2016 with 200 miles.  Traded a 2015 R1200GS with 18,000 miles I bought last summer for longer trips.   I plan on selling my 2017 s1000R this Spring that I bought last summer.  My understanding is that this bike will be a good compromise between the 1200 (longer distances) and the R (fast canyon carver). 

Based on everything I read, I test rode it before buying and the vibration was definitely a concern.  Rode another demo with weighted bar ends and noticed a huge difference.  That was my first upgrade and now the vibration is similar to the R's and not a concern.

Fortunately, a couple warm days this week so I got the 600 miles and service complete.  So far....so good.    It was hard parting with the 1200 but it didn't have the fun factor of the XR!  Even though I'm a newer rider and in my 50's the XR is more my style and just like the R, puts a smile on my face.  I'm wondering now if I'll miss the R which has been a lot of fun and my introduction to sport bikes, canyon carving, and track days.  Time will tell......

Just put the radiator guard on today and was cursing BMW for the annoying fairing removal process and plastic rivets that I could not figure out how to remove.  Quick Google search led me to this forum and the easy removal solution....THANKS!

Look forward to spending time on this forum and learning what I need to know about my new ride!

Online otrp

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
Re: New XR Owner - Colorado, USA
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 01:49:19 AM »
Hello jaycart and welcome to the forum.  Hope you enjoy the XR.

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 08:19:50 AM »
 :400:

Sounds like you will enjoy that bike.

Offline Flyalfa

• XR Member
  • Town: Halifax
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 10:26:36 PM »
 Hi jacart
I am sure you will enjoy your XR, I have ridden your canyon roads on three occasions when doing several coast to coast runs across the US. I have kept my Honda Shadow 1100 America Ace in Florida for the last 12years. Riding it two or three times each year, before that I had a Road King but it spent more time at HD than I did riding it. The Shadow never went wrong, I always wished I was on my GS. But now might want to try my XR out there!

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 02:17:37 AM »
You're going to hate the 'XR.  Worst motorcycle you ever rode.  I promise you it'll be awful.

Please crate it up and send it my way so that I have a pair.

I just love being miserable.

Welcome!  :400:
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR whi
  • Town: NY Metro
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 06:37:56 AM »
Hi jacart...  I rode my b-king, then my vulcan, garrulously down your roads ... and yeah, whatever  :001:
enjoy the bike.  then mod it, and enjoy it more  :008:

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 01:29:43 PM »
 :400:  Hi you have bought an awesome bike, YOU will enjoy it.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Motoman

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Naples, Fl.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 06:20:33 PM »
Welcome and always nice to have another Yank on board! Great forum and you can learn a lot about this awesome bike!  :305: :305:

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR whi
  • Town: NY Metro
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 12:11:19 AM »
J-cart,  I too had an s1000r and I find the xr to be just as fun in the twisties but more comfortable and stable in corners. I loved my R but I like the XR more.  The xr is as if the GS and R had a baby.  Perfect 'tweaner.

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 11:18:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by jacart [+]
Based on everything I read, I test rode it before buying and the vibration was definitely a concern.  Rode another demo with weighted bar ends and noticed a huge difference.  That was my first upgrade and now the vibration is similar to the R's and not a concern.

Fortunately, a couple warm days this week so I got the 600 miles and service complete.  So far....so good.    It was hard parting with the 1200 but it didn't have the fun factor of the XR!  Even though I'm a newer rider and in my 50's the XR is more my style and just like the R, puts a smile on my face.  I'm wondering now if I'll miss the R which has been a lot of fun and my introduction to sport bikes, canyon carving, and track days.  Time will tell......

Did you notice an improvement in the vibration after the 600 mile service?

For me, just after that service mark, my XR smoothed out noticeably.  While the handlebar vibration can still exist at certain points, the bike overall became very buttery after that service was done.
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark