Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: OEM LED Turn Signals  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: OEM LED Turn Signals
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 03:20:51 PM »
Hence why I was pointing out my XT from a bygone era the solution used to be resistors that was over taken with an led relay now you have to go to a dealer because of what you mentioned.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 07:46:55 PM »
The '17 & '18 Aussie versions have the LED turn signals as standard, (I suspect other countries too).... so there may be relay or a setting in the system which can be changed to suit, a trip to your dealer may be the only answer..

Are the LED turn signals legal in the US??... if not you may be in a spot of bother.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Mta1000XR

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2018 S1000XR
  • Town: Connecticut
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 07:56:54 PM »
Well I don't know if they're legal or not. People have plenty of led signals on all kinds of bikes out here. Never heard of anyone getting a ticket for having them. Dealer sounds like my only option if I wanna keep these.
Ride That Thang!

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 09:25:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mta1000XR [+]
Well I don't know if they're legal or not. People have plenty of led signals on all kinds of bikes out here. Never heard of anyone getting a ticket for having them. Dealer sounds like my only option if I wanna keep these.

There is a cease and replace out there at the moment because the NTSA (or some other body) has deemed the BMW LED turn signals to be no good(apparently they can not be seen from a wide enough angle)! So any LEDs that were installed by dealers have to be removed and replaced by the standard incandescent turn signals. The real funny thing about this (and again this is subjective) when I follow friends the bikes with LED turn signals stand out way more that the incandescent bulbs.

I put BMW LED on the wife's R12GSW, had to take it in to get the flash rate sorted in the ECU.
When I bought my S1kR it had Rizoma LEDs installed (with a plethora of resistors and not very nice wiring) whilst I was tidying up the wiring I tried them without the resistors, and everything worked as normal, so I removed the resistors.

On the XR I am thinking of going with the Weiser Driving Light/Turn Signal more to get that visibility 'triangle' than for extra light on the road(I have installed HID in the low and high beam).

Offline Mta1000XR

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2018 S1000XR
  • Town: Connecticut
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 10:06:15 PM »
well if the dealer wants a $100 to change the ecu for the leds, I might as well get a set of these from http://dynamicmotorrad.com/
Ride That Thang!

Online vegaspeed

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Las Vegas
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 07:45:31 PM »
I was told that BMW dealers in America will not longer flash to activate the Euro led turn signals.     Is this correct or do I have bad information?

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 10:24:42 PM »
My dealer tech could no longer find the option in the menu on the diagnostics computer, so could not activate the LED option.

Online vegaspeed

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Las Vegas
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2018, 10:39:22 PM »
Thank you!    That's the conclusion I've come to as well.      Apparently American dealers can't even bring in the smoked sport windscreen anymore either, luckily I can get it elsewhere and don't need it programmed  :008:

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2018, 11:06:44 PM »
I have installed LEDs on my XR, but aftermarket ones and they required resistors(I had some Rizoma resistors lying around and used them).

dysfunctional