Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gs or xr  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Waynexr1000

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Brierley Hill
Gs or xr
« on: February 25, 2018, 11:22:09 AM »
Having had three gs water cooled te models and thought they were superb I thought I would have a change and went for the xr I can't really make up my mind if I did the right thing  :435: whilst I love my new xr I dunno if I would have another one  :084: :084:
Got an over seas trip booked for June that will be the real test
Interested to hear you guys thoughts
Ps suns shining again so taking bike out again i do like riding the xr  :028:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 11:25:09 AM by Waynexr1000 »

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Gs or xr
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 11:27:04 AM »
Overseas to France/Germany/Spain - or overseas to Morocco ??

After 10yrs of GSA ownership and around 50k miles (albeit SC and TC models) - I love the XR.

Might go back to a GS one day, but I expect I won't be able to wipe my own arse - by that time  :110:

Offline philbuck

• XR Pro
  • Town: Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 11:43:10 AM »
Both  :821:

Offline OldSteve

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000XR
  • Town: Pickering
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 11:46:32 AM »
Having swapped from a GS LC TE to an XR Sport SE last year I think this is a difficult one.  In absolute terms I think the XR is the better bike as I found it comfortable over long distances and a bit more manageable and compact than the GS with a much nicer gearbox and GSAP that works through all gears.  As a pure road bike it is obviously very quick and handles brilliantly and has all the toys as well.  The GS (or any boxer) has, for me, the benefit of a shaft drive, a nicer feel to the engine (I like the low down pull of the big boxer), better range, just, and more useful instrumentation for touring, specifically tyre pressure monitoring, air temp and 3 trips but a relatively poor gearbox.  For me, I think if I were to choose between them again I would still go for another XR as I just found it overall the better bike for me.  Having said that, I have just bought an R1200R which may be an even better all-rounder.   :084:

Offline Waynexr1000

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 12:15:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
Overseas to France/Germany/Spain - or overseas to Morocco ??

After 10yrs of GSA ownership and around 50k miles (albeit SC and TC models) - I love the XR.

Might go back to a GS one day, but I expect I won't be able to wipe my own arse - by that time  :110:

Sounds like there is a few of us heading towards the wiping arse problem  :0461: :192:

Offline Waynexr1000

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 12:29:20 PM »
I’m gonna go out for a spin Now on my own only thing I have found with the xr is all my mates used to love following me cause they said I was as smooth as silk round the bends on my gs I haven’t mastered my xr yet I keep finding I go in to low and have to keep picking up and readjusting my line want to get that smoothnes back but the xr just dares u to thrash it out of the corners
It’s a big change coming from the telelever that just used to go around the bends flat if that makes sense

Online Bree

• XR God
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 12:38:24 PM »
 :001: Was going to answer quicker but spent longer in the Bog than I expected.   :156:
Bit harder to answer this one for me as I have never owned a GS. I have and do own other bikes and at this point in time, the XR is my number one Bike and it really is an awesome machine, and I really cannot fault it in any way ( only if I want to be really finicky ) and that would be unfair to this bike as it really is a bit of a do it all machine. But like every thing in life you cannot please all of the people all of the time. And what is perfection today is not always perfection tomorrow.    :305: :305: :305: :305:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Waynexr1000

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 12:45:11 PM »
Sure I will get to grips with my xr bree I’ll update when I get back lol

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 01:07:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Waynexr1000 [+]
I’m gonna go out for a spin Now on my own only thing I have found with the xr is all my mates used to love following me cause they said I was as smooth as silk round the bends on my gs I haven’t mastered my xr yet I keep finding I go in to low and have to keep picking up and readjusting my line want to get that smoothnes back but the xr just dares u to thrash it out of the corners
It’s a big change coming from the telelever that just used to go around the bends flat if that makes sense

You may find it is down to the GS suspension being pretty soft and compliant with bumps/irregularities in the road - whereas more 'sporty' suspension throws your confidence?

Offline frequentflyer

• XR Junior
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 01:17:50 PM »
I've owned gs lc and 1200rs and for the past year the XR. In my opinion the GS is probably a better all day bike but felt much heftier than the XR in low speed /town riding. There's a certain speed at which the XR all comes together and it's a fantastic bike, however that speed might be considered a bit fast for UK.
One thing I would change is maybe slightly softer suspension setting in road.
I'm thinking of a lowered GS at some point in the future but to right now the XR is a superb bike.