Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Retrofitting BMW factory GPS prep parts?  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Racer944

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Ottawa, Ontario
Retrofitting BMW factory GPS prep parts?
« on: March 05, 2018, 08:25:35 PM »
HI Folks;

Just wondering if anyone on here has ever retrofitted the BMW factory GPS prep parts? I have a bike that came without the prep parts and would like to install them. I see the parts available from BMW in a "kit", but the listing does not seem to include the multifunction wheel/dial on the left handlebars.

I guess my question is are there any other parts I need (different grips?) as well, or is it simply a matter of buying the multi function dial, and the GPS prep/mount parts, and then simply connecting everything together?

Any thoughts/help appreciated!

Cheers;
Eric

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Retrofitting BMW factory GPS prep parts?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 08:58:21 PM »
I think in your shoes, I would start by asking your local BMW dealer technicians what they think is required by way of parts, fitting, and setting up of the system.

If the cost of the parts is eyewatering, then if you have no issues with it- I am sure that there are 'second-hand' parts on ebay from Lithuania, which may appeal.   Your local BMW dealer might be okay with fitting and setting up.

If it is too prohibitive, an 'almost' halfway solution would be to fit the "extra control" cradle for the Nav 5/6?

Best I can offer, I'm afraid - other than to suggest a search through the archives here and on the US site?

Offline Toolman_57

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Wash DC USA Area
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 09:35:53 PM »
When I purchased my XR, I had the dealer install the "unofficial" locking cradle and it appears that they gave me most of the parts from the old prep mount. If you want the stuff and are willing to pay shipping, I'd be happy to clear some shelf space.

Offline Toolman_57

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Wash DC USA Area
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 09:49:40 PM »
I have all the parts except for the four pieces of mounting hardware (x4) show in the figure--items 12-15.

https://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsThumb/B0008571.png?v=07242017

(once I looked at the price list, maybe I gave away the farm)  :034:

Also--this doesn't include the wheel. I'm sure that the GPS would work through the touch screen. The wheel does so much less than it did on the GTL--all it controls is the GPS and doesn't really add that much functionality except for changing pages and scrolling through phone numbers, etc.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 09:54:49 PM by Toolman_57 »

Offline Racer944

• XR Member
  • Town: Ottawa, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 02:36:28 AM »
Toolman;

Thank you sir for your help! PM sent...

Cheers;
Eric

dysfunctional