Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine heat blowing on my leg  (Read 5987 times)

Offline clarryr

• Ex Member
  • XR Member
Engine heat blowing on my leg
« on: August 03, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »
For me this is a much more annoying problem than the handlebar vibration.  My XR blows excessively hot air onto my left leg while riding.  This is so hot it becomes very uncomfortable after a while and I have to take my foot off the footpeg and hold my leg out of the way of the engine until my leg cools back down.  Does anyone else suffer this?
Larry

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
Re: Engine heat blowing on my leg
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 12:25:39 AM »
Yep, I think a number of us have mentioned the dreaded "hot foot" that we seem to be experiencing when the outside temp's are up.  Not much fun especially in congetsted traffic.  Not so bad when on the highway.   :003:
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline Winkie

• XR Member
  • Town: Bangkok
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 06:25:38 AM »
Mmmmmm!  Not so happy to know about this.

Here in Thailand temp is constantly around 34-36 Celsius (rising up to 44 in April).  Ambient Temps on the Roads, especially in Bangkok are close to 10 Degrees higher.

Sure most of you know, the traffic in Bangkok sucks big time!  :012:

Picking my bike up on Saturday (all being well)

Offline Bald Man

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Jaffray BC
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 08:51:49 PM »
I wear full boots and Klim pants and have never felt it.

Offline Winkie

• XR Member
  • Town: Bangkok
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 02:51:16 AM »
Well, picked up my Bike last Saturday.

Have put a little over 500kms on the clock so far.

Yes, there is some heat pushing out from the left side onto my lower leg.  Its much less that my Ducati, so for me I am more than OK with this.

I have the vibes on the handlebars too (almost exclusively on the RHS).  Initially occurring in the 4,000-5,5000 range.  However, I am already experiencing a reduction in the vibes and a narrowing of the range.  Also, my handlebars are surely not torqued in eh correct way.  I have my 1,000km service on Saturday, so will refit the bars at the same time.  Even if re-torquing does not resolve the problem, I will not be too disappointed, the vibes are not so annoying or intrusive, and there is some many other things to focus on!

Offline bmac

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Wisconsin
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 03:16:12 AM »
I notice absolutely no heat unless I am sitting in traffic. As soon as I move it goes away. I hate hot bikes but this is not one of them by a long shot.

Offline AussieJonathan

• XR Member
  • Town: Bayview, NSW, AU
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 10:55:23 PM »
I noticed the heat after about 30 sitting in heavy traffic having not got past 20 Kms/Hour for the whole time but that was with my left foot on the peg while stationary, since then (500Kms later) although no sitting traffic for any long period  I have not felt any heat.

I could not wait to collect my XR and ended up leaving the dealership at 5pm Friday on the wrong (for me) side of Sydney! So spent my first hour 'learning' in three lanes of nose-to tail. Anyway I did learn the you can lane filter Ok since the bars are high and miss most car mirrors so that was good!

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 05:44:49 PM »
Only noticed the heat in traffic but due to the normal weather in the uk the heat might be welcome.

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline clarryr

• Ex Member
  • XR Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 08:41:47 PM »
I wonder if my bike is somehow different.  Perhaps it's missing a wind deflector or something.  Indeed, when the outside temps drop below 90 degrees, the heat from the engine is more tolerable.  But it is still very prevalent on my bike.  The engine temp display is reporting between 180 and 200 when moving and 200 - 220 when stopped.  I wear my Sidi Adventure boots - full shin height and waterproof.  Even running at speed the left boot will start to cook after a while.  My engine puts off a lot of heat.  I think I'll tape a thermometer to my boot to see just how hot it is.
Larry

Offline Pubby

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Hertfordshire
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 08:49:56 PM »
Had mine for 4 weeks now, 1300 miles later riding on all kinds of conditions no problem with heat or vibes - best bike I've owned