Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Adding factory heated grips...  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Racer944

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Ottawa, Ontario
Adding factory heated grips...
« on: March 09, 2018, 05:15:28 PM »
Hi Folks;

My bike did not come with heated grips. I am looking at options to add them, and while I know that the factory ones are notorious for not producing a ton of heat, I think for my riding they would be fine, and I like the factory look.

I know they can be retrofitted by purchasing the grips, and the right side combo switch to get the button, but I was wondering if anyone had actually done this. Curious to know if it is basically a "plug and play" thing, or whether the software on the bike would also have to be programmed, etc.

If anyone has done this would appreciate your input...

Thanks;
Eric

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
Re: Adding factory heated grips...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 01:13:51 AM »
Not sure if the grip wiring is even present on a "non-equipped" machine...you'll soon find out I suspect....I guess it would also need to be "activated" in the software.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Racer944

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 01:52:43 AM »
Hi Smithy;

Given the bike is CANBUS, I would be very surprised if they had different wiring harnesses for each configuration. As you say, I guess I will find out...
I do agree that it will likely need to be activated by someone with the right computer equipment though... Was hoping someone had already done this but guess not. I will update once I find out what it takes...

Cheers;
Eric

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 02:10:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Racer944 [+]
Hi Smithy;
Was hoping someone had already done this but guess not. I will update once I find out what it takes...
Cheers; Eric

I think you'll find 90% of bikes on here are the SE or full spec....They don't sell anything other than the full spec machines at dealers here in Aus, although we don't call the SE... if you want something different you have to get your dealer to order it in special, which could take months..!

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 10:48:15 AM »
Over this last winter i’ve Fitted factory grips on my 20 year old 1100s because it has an old fashioned wiring loom I had to buy another part of the loom plus the heated grips and the handlebar controls.

As you mentioned the canbus should be a plus i’d Be surprised if it would need anything else apart from the handle bat controls and the grips and maybe some intro to the ECU,I see their have been plenty of broken X/R’s being sold as spares out of the US on eBay and with little demand with the bike still being relatively new should be able to be bought at reasonable money.

Offline Racer944

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 12:39:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
I see their have been plenty of broken X/R’s being sold as spares out of the US on eBay and with little demand with the bike still being relatively new should be able to be bought at reasonable money.

Yes that's my plan to look for good used parts as buying the parts new from the dealer appears to be crazy expensive. Seems that a few/most of the factory options are available and listed as retrofit, but they don't make the price very palatable...

Cheers;
Eric

Offline Racer944

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 07:10:29 PM »
Just thought I would share a quick update for those contemplating this in the future.

- I purchased a set of BMW factory heated grips with left side "wonderwheel" and a right side switch block with heated grips button (all used parts from a dismantler), and set about retrofitting the GPS prep package, and heated grips to my 2016 bike that did not come equipped. Of note, all wires are already on the bike and the installation simply consisted of removing the old parts, removing some harness plugs for the grips and the "wonderwheel", and reinstalling the "new" parts. Very easily accomplished.

The last step unfortunately I cannot do as the bike needs to now be hooked up to the BMW computer tool and have the heated grips and the "wonderwheel" activated in the software for it all to work.

Will be at least a few weeks for that as we still have snow on the ground here. Will report back when that's done and hopefully everything is operational.

Cheers;
Eric

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 07:35:49 PM »
The bad news X/R heated grips are absolutely crap no actually that’s wrong their CRAP I rode 75 miles today and turned up with frozen digits coming home didn’t matter!!! on my K1200 you cannot ride the bike no matter how cold it is with the grips on full blast they get that hot.

But thanks for the heads up as i’m In it for the long haul the plan is to buy some spares,just put some on my 20 year old 1100s cost £350  :156:

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 09:37:14 AM »
Yep XR heated grips are rubbish, so much so I bought some heated gloves, to go with my heated jacket.

Offline Boneman1

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Southampton
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 09:49:18 AM »
I was speaking to someone at my local dealership about the poor heated  grips on the S1000xr and was told that new lighter alloy used on the handle bar is causing higher heat transfer resulting in less heat in the grips. I use grip puppies so the warmth from the grip,in the max setting is not fit for purpose.
This has been a problem with this model and I am surprised that BMW who should be aware of it has done nothing to improve it. They have decades of experience with heated grips and this is the only model which has an issue with it. Very disappointing

dysfunctional