Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: BMW alarm ?  (Read 4381 times)

Offline S1KXR-rider

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1KXR-Red!
  • Town: Derbyshire
BMW alarm ?
« on: August 04, 2015, 01:11:17 PM »
I've had a lot of bikes over the years and have only ever had an alarm on one of them and that used to be a real pain in the ar**. Fast forward to now and my new s1000xr and all of a sudden I'm paranoid about it being stolen. I've bought an Abus 8077 alarmed disc lock but am considering having my dealer install the BMW alarm. I know it's not 'insurance approved' so won't get my insurance any cheaper but am thinking it'll be more noise (along with the disc lock) if anyone trys to nick it.

Does anyone on here have one fitted and what do you think of it, is it worth it ??

Offline johnboy1984

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Belfast
Re: BMW alarm ?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 01:53:19 PM »
This is why we pay insurance... if it gets stolen, I personally wouldnt want it back, and the added risk of them entering the home to get the keys gets larger the harder you make it to steal... Just think of it that you will get a brand new bike at the end of it all should the worst happen.

Offline manx1975

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Hertfordshire
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 04:02:51 PM »
I've got Biketrac on my S1000XR, had it previously on my RR and had it moved over. Pretty good too for looking how fast you went on a ride :)

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 05:24:34 PM »
I used to have alarms on bikes, but don't any more. People don't take any notice of them, they make no difference to insurance premiums, and if I disturb someone nicking my bike I'll go too far and get thrown in jail.

Offline Winkie

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Bangkok
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 06:17:43 AM »
Am collecting my bike on Saturday (hopefully).

Mine should already be equipped with the alarm.

I have alarm on my Ducati also.  I enable it is parked in public areas, and also when left overnight.  Whilst Bike Theft is not  a huge issue here (but does exist), a common problem is people moving the bike (to make for tighter parking) or simply to sit on it for a 'feel'.  Of course, if someone is moving my bike and the alarm goes off, there is a risk that they will drop the bike.  I can always choose not to arm the alarm.

The alarm will give me no insurance benefit.  Insurance here will cost me THB 35,000 (around US$1,060) and the bike will be covered all-risks, any rider upto value of 70% for first year.  Next year will increase slightly if no claims (any claims will invoke a higher increase)

Will let you know what I think of the alarm after I've had a little experience.

Offline AussieJonathan

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Bayview, NSW, AU
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 11:06:03 PM »
I bought my XR with a factory alarm. It is a bit sensitive - I set it off when I knocked the back tyre with the broom while cleaning the garage and it went off (or would have done if I hadn't switched the ignition on).

I have switched the alarm off from the setup equipment menu and will only use it when I am touring and need to leave it overnight so it sounds like an expensive option but who knows, it easy to enable/disable so if I not happy where I'm leaving the bike for a while then I can switch it on.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 12:34:19 PM »
I have the BMW alarm fitted which I leave on Auto so the alarm sets automatically after 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off. As stated above the alarm is fairly sensitive and if you move the bike or put it on the stand you need to turn the ignition on to disable the alarm. After the alarm is activated it bleeps for 30 seconds and then resets.

I feel more comfortable with the alarm and you get used to living with the downsides
PSH

Offline Adventure Boy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR SE
  • Town: Essex
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 07:35:57 PM »
I Fitted a datatool Demon Evo to mine Great little alarm does what it should with no frills cheap and cheerful about £90 but they work well

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 11:43:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
you get used to living with the downsides

I couldn't !
Too much of a faff moving, loading or unloading the bike so I deactivated it
Will probably reactivate it when I'm away but for normal use I'll live without it

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 07:03:38 PM »
Easier to use the alarm than the hassle of a stolen bike
PSH