Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fender Extenders - Ugly eyesore or essential item?  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Martyn B

• XR Pro
  • Sultan of Bling
  • Bike: S1000XR SE 2018
  • Town: Melksham, Wilts
Fender Extenders - Ugly eyesore or essential item?
« on: March 24, 2018, 08:50:53 AM »
It's pretty clear that unless you only ride in the dry, on dry roads in the city, the XR front wheel serves the additional function of throwing crap all over the rad and oil cooler area.

I normally fit a fender extender to every bike I get but I haven't done that to my XR coz I think it's going to look rubbish. Looking at the Gallery I don't see much evidence of Members having fitted them either which makes me think I'm right. The alternative theory is that you don't notice them as they are black against the black background of a tyre. Also, if you've got powder-coated rad and oil protectors like I have and don't have an extender, I'm wondering how long it's going to be before they start showing abrasion signs.

So, to extend or not to extend, that is the question? Let the debate commence!  :001:

What a long strange trip it's been...

Online LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Berkshire UK
Re: Fender Extenders - Ugly eyesore or essential item?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 08:54:28 AM »
Hi matey, I’ve thought about it, but then rad and oil cooler guards should do the trick, so at the moment, NO, plus seen some horrible drilling fitted ones which I definitely don’t like

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
  • Bike: HP Motorsport
  • Town: North Wales
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 10:01:19 AM »
Hi
I wanted a carbon front guard and Ilmberger had an extended option, so fitted that together with the rad and oil cooler guards
Works well

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 02:32:36 PM »
See my earlier post.

The Wunderlich fender extender includes brackets and bolts to the brake caliper to stop the mudguard flexing, but costs more.

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 05:24:15 PM »
Yep Ive got one fitted, black so you dont really notice its there. does its job and keeps most of the crap off of the rad & oil cooler.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Waynexr1000

• XR Pro
  • Town: Brierley Hill
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 03:48:23 PM »
Definitely fit one it’s not just protecting the rad and oil cooler it stops all the crap spraying up the forks and up the head stock you won’t belive how shitty it gets up there
I Just got a Powerbronze Black one took mudguard off used a load of silicone stuck it in place left it upside down over night to set it’s as solid as a rock and no drilling

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 05:24:11 PM »
I fitted a 'long' carbon front fender made by Imberger (or something like that) the rear of the fender is about 100mm lower than the OEM and greatly reduces the amount of road crap that ends up over your oil cooler and your rad and also your boots. Easy to fit and uses existing OEM bolts and fittings  :047:
PSH

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 09:19:52 PM »
Yep, Ilmberger carbon guard and carbon extender to go with rad and cooler guards on my XR...in retrospect I should have just gone with the Ilmberger extended carbon version but didn't see them when I bought mine....obviously I didn't look hard enough.. :034:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Waynexr1000

• XR Pro
  • Town: Brierley Hill
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 10:48:46 PM »
Looks good on your bike smithy not so sure one of those would go on my motorsport colour

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 11:30:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Waynexr1000 [+]
Looks good on your bike smithy not so sure one of those would go on my motorsport colour

The "Motorsport" machine has a white front guard, is that correct?? If so, yes a carbon guard would look a bit strange IMHO, you could just get a plastic extender and paint it the appropriate colour...but each XR owner has their own judgement and preference...to be honest it matters not what anyone else thinks.. :028:

Smithy.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 11:51:10 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!