Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Have you used ABS Pro?  (Read 3433 times)

Offline clarryr

• Ex Member
  • XR Member
Have you used ABS Pro?
« on: August 06, 2015, 12:01:59 AM »
Has anybody tried out their ABS Pro yet?  I mean, heavy braking in a lean.  I have tried mine gently so far and it works, or at least I can brake in a lean without going into a skid.  But it is so counter to what I've been trained to do.  I practiced applying more brake in a lean on an enclosed range and struggled with the straightening while braking aspect of the skill.  It is going to be hard to learn.  Getting the bike back up right while also braking is a skill I don't have yet and I'm not willing to push it too hard yet in fear of dropping my pretty new bike.  Has anyone mastered that and have advice on the technique?
Larry

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
Re: Have you used ABS Pro?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 03:31:44 AM »
I think most people try to gradually brake going into a corner and then powering out of the turn.
The ABS Pro is designed to measure lean angle, speed and then keep the brakes from locking up while in the turn if you have overshot and need to grab a handful of the brake to gain control.
Others here may be able to provide a better insight than this.  On the home page of this site there is a pretty comprehensive explanation of how this works.   :002: 
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 08:30:01 AM »
I tried it on the demo bike. I came into a sharp bend at about 70mph, then hard on the front brake whilst lent over, and it stayed lent over, which goes against everything I've experienced. It's bloody amazing. I tried it at lower speeds, on roundabouts, and the bike would not stand up. You have to remember that it won't stand up, as you could look a bit daft at lower speeds when it just falls over!

Offline clarryr

• Ex Member
  • XR Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 04:02:32 PM »
Rich has the idea.  I'm not talking about normal braking or how to trail brake into a corner.  I'm talking about using the ABS Pro in an emergency situation while in a steep lean in a corner.  That is, a quick stop when a hazard suddenly appears.  I am a motorcycle safety instructor and we spend a lot of time teaching our students how to use their brakes for a quick stop without locking up either wheel and causing a crash.  Of course, one of the things we greatly stress is that quick stops in a corner are very dangerous because of the limited traction that needs to be shared between braking and holding the bike in the corner.  We teach that when there's room the the best technique is to straighten the motorcycle first and then apply maximum straight line braking.  Braking in a lean has to be gentle and gradually increasing as the bike straightens.  Normal ABS can prevent a wheel lock up in a straight line stop but is not sensitive to the lean of the bike.
Many riders that have ABS on their bike have never been into it.  They are afraid of it.  And then when in an emergency their panic stop gets them into ABS, they think something is wrong, and release the brakes.  We train people to practice what they will do in a panic stop and if they have ABS to practice getting into it.
Now, along comes ABS Pro that is sensitive to the lean and the whole technique for emergency braking in a lean can change.  But again, I think the rider needs to know what to expect or like Rich says, "you could look a bit daft ... when [the bike] just falls over!".  My theory is that as you brake in a corner you need to significantly straighten the bike by pressing on the outside grip while the brakes are applied.  And this is going to be a technique that requires practice.  So think in these terms - how would you coach somebody to use their ABS Pro in an emergency stop?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 04:19:40 PM by clarryr »

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 05:35:22 PM »
I was determined to try it out, and will continue to practise, where safe, as I think that will make me much more prepared if I ever have to use it in a real emergency.

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 07:42:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by RichS1000XR [+]
I was determined to try it out, and will continue to practise, where safe, as I think that will make me ggmuch more prepared if I ever have to use it in a real emergency.

Would such an emergency be running away from the Mrs when she sees this rear sets !

And on a lighter note I only asked Susan If she wanted a kit Kat chunky and she still isn't speaking to me
*Originally Posted by RichS1000XR [+]
I was determined to try it out, and will continue to practise, where safe, as I think that will make me much more prepared if I ever have to use it in a real emergency.
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !