Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: The Combat Commuter Combination Attire  (Read 6406 times)

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
The Combat Commuter Combination Attire
« on: March 28, 2018, 12:41:01 AM »
The reason I arrived at the S1000XR as my motorcycle of choice is that I saw it as a lighter, meaner, more powerful commuting motorcycle.  Although I still spend a week here and there on the road for a long tour, a check of my own ego made me realize I'm more committed to commuting than I am to touring.  The XR was the best platform for both of my missions.

However, my gear-set is largely touring built.  I have a Roadcrafter suit which was designed for commuting, but turns out to be better for touring.  I have Sidi combat style boots which I will never, ever, ever part with, but they are a bit much for daily commutes and walks through the local grocer.  My helmets are both less than 2 years old.

This thread is about building a new combat-commuter suit:

Pants:  I'm leaning heavily towards the BMW City 2 pants.  I do not like over-pants.
Jacket: I'm at a loss.  Leaning towards something more summer-weight, though.
Boots: No idea where to find dedicated riding boots that can function respectably for walking and running errands.

So, to my brother and sister Moto-commuters, what are your picks for pants, jacket and boots?  :084:
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
Re: The Combat Commuter Combination Attire
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 01:08:06 AM »
I might not be able to help with pants or jacket...but have you considered motorcycle "shoes" for you daily commute and grocery applications..??

I have something like these, they're comfy and allow you to actually walk like a human..!

Smithy.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 01:27:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
I might not be able to help with pants or jacket...but have you considered motorcycle "shoes" for you daily commute and grocery applications..??

I have something like these, they're comfy and allow you to actually walk like a human..!

Smithy.

Yes!  This is the kind of lead I need.  A shoe over a boot!  Protection, but... walk capable!   :082:
-Erik

-- zbdmark

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 01:41:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by Low-Brau [+]
Yes!  This is the kind of lead I need.  A shoe over a boot!  Protection, but... walk capable!   :082:

I have both types, normal "RST" riding boots for day rides and touring duties, (they're surprisingly comfortable) like these ones below ...as well as the SIDI shoes for my daily commute. :028:

Smithy.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 01:43:24 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 03:12:47 AM »
The reviews on these Sidi shoes are excellent and the price is actually reasonable enough that I can afford a BMW. Well done, sir!!

Pants?
Jacket?
-Erik

-- zbdmark

Offline Waynexr1000

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Brierley Hill
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 08:09:59 PM »
It all depends wether you are going to head out when it’s pissing down with  rain or not  :084:

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 08:43:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Waynexr1000 [+]
It all depends wether you are going to head out when it’s pissing down with  rain or not  :084:/

What's this thing called rain you speak of..??  :016:

Smithy.

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 09:02:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
*Originally Posted by Waynexr1000 [+]
It all depends wether you are going to head out when it’s pissing down with  rain or not  :084:/

What's this thing called rain you speak of..??  :016:

Smithy.

Rain is that stuff thats wet and falls from the sky..   OH BY THE WAY  is it true you Aussies rub sugar on your Balls to make them shine   :001::001:  I tend to use back to black cockpit shine works for me.   :001: :001:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 09:05:17 PM by Bree »
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 09:08:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]

Rain is that stuff thats wet and falls from the sky..   OH BY THE WAY  is it true you Aussies rub sugar on your Balls to make them shine   :001::001:  I tend to use back to black cockpit shine works for me.   :001: :001:

Yeah, yeah...go on...rub it in....all the criticism is well deserved too BTW...I have no comeback  :027:...cheating is cheating in anyone's language..not good enough.

Smithy.

Offline Waynexr1000

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Brierley Hill
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 09:23:10 PM »
Am I lead to believe this cricket by any chance  :435: