Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pillion not happy 😖  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Garbo

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1kxr
  • Town: Newcastle
Pillion not happy 😖
« on: March 28, 2018, 10:54:55 AM »
I want to ask the international forum advice on a very touchy subject. My life partner complains after a long days ride she cannot stand on the pegs without the side fairings cutting into the calves. The busa and the GS were comfy but she is hating the XR and I need her to see it as I do. I have stood on the rear pegs myself after a few sherbets when she has kindly double dinked me back to our accommodation.😏and she is correct! It hurts like buggery. ( even though I went to an all boys high and was never touched)😇
Am I missing something or will I just remove the side fairings for a twoup trip
Thanks in advance. Garbo 🤓

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
Re: Pillion not happy 😖
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 12:56:41 PM »
Well, this could cause years of anguish.  :006:

My own 'XR is new-ish enough that my own better half hasn't even tried the pillion position.  Nor have I. Personally, I never really considered pillion comfort when I bought the XR as it is 99.9% a solo machine.
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Online Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 01:34:57 PM »
I do about 85 to 90% of my riding two up the other half is five foot one and a half the only complaint were the grab handles to low so I made a loop to go on the back when the top box is not on and on the high getting on, but she gets on first then moves back.

I will say the space in-between us is not all that great having had a couple of K1300s but the seat seams to be good.

The odd comment about when it's in sports pro :015:.

We did Ashford in Kent to Saint-Étienne in the south of France in one day just over 650 miles no issues at all, got up the next day and did about 150 miles.

After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 02:38:07 PM »
Buying a bike is a mutual thing for us two and over the years there have been several that failed the test,i’m also in the 90% two up bracket and as my other half is not much shorter than me I sat on the back and my legs are nowhere near the panels so with the greatest of respect i’d Say the OP’s other half must have short legs  :002:

But even after much huffing and puffing when looking at different bikes we still hadn’t bargained on us getting on the dam thing on a regular basis as opposed to a one off test my wife gets on a bike just like I do by throwing a leg over it can still be done if I pull up along side a kerb but for the first time in 39 years she’s had to stand on the pillion foot peg and go from leather trousers to material ones feck me we had a major domestic over such last year but good news it works well when we are on it.

Offline Motoman

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Naples, Fl.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 03:10:37 PM »
 My Wife's biggest problem is getting on the bike! Not quite as limber as the ole gal use to be and has a hard time getting her leg over. Always try to find a curb or similar for her to get off and on. As far as comfort level she says its as good as the 1600GT I had.  :047:

Offline Cranky1

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 03:23:18 PM »
I just had my seat redone for a little more comfort, my wife is around 5 foot one. I might have to lower the bike just a touch.
.914x.6096x.914. Only if she is 1.6002!
Sounds better in us measurements.

Offline billywizzz

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: dorset
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 07:05:28 PM »
after 20 years of owning sports bikes with a high mounted pillion seat the size of a postage stamp where my mrs had a clear view over me and nowhere to hold on she now complains about my xr because she cant see ahead without having to look round the side of my crash helmet. guess i will never win  :008:

Offline Waynexr1000

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Brierley Hill
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 07:53:42 PM »
I’m just gonna go sit on the back in my garage see what this nonsense is all about  :745:

Offline Waynexr1000

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Brierley Hill
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 07:58:58 PM »
Either she has very big calf’s or you are very very slim
Easiest option stick a couple of foam strips to her leathers or some padding on your hips to spread pillion legs a bit wider  :008: :745:

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 09:14:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Waynexr1000 [+]
Either she has very big calf’s or you are very very slim
Easiest option stick a couple of foam strips to her leathers or some padding on your hips to spread pillion legs a bit wider  :008: :745:

Bloody hell that was quick. less than 5min to try out that back seat,  :001:  And I am getting a bit hot under the collar with this talk of spreading the pillions leather clad legs   :005: :005:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.